What is the best 27" monitor?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro and want to buy a 27 in monitor to use with it and I want to hook the monitor to my Dish Network sat. receiver. What is the best monitor I can get keeping this in mind? Thanks for any help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Macbook Pro and want to buy a 27 in monitor to use with it and I want to hook the monitor to my Dish Network sat. receiver. What is the best monitor I can get keeping this in mind? Thanks for any help?

The Apple 27" monitor is probably the best you're going to find...but at $999 it is very expensive!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The Dell UltraSharp U2711 may be a good choice as well, and will have the proper hookups without adapters for your dish receiver. It is also $100 cheaper than the Cinema Display.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Dell UltraSharp U2711 may be a good choice as well, and will have the proper hookups without adapters for your dish receiver. It is also $100 cheaper than the Cinema Display.

I didn't realize that there was another 27" monitor out there with a 2560x1440 resolution (like the 27" Apple display)...great to know.:)

Many folks fall for "lesser" 25"-27" monitors (just because they're bigger)...but still have the 1920 x 1080 resolution found on smaller 23"-24" monitors).

Great info!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I didn't realize that there was another 27" monitor out there with a 2560x1440 resolution (like the 27" Apple display)...great to know.:)

Many folks fall for "lesser" 25"-27" monitors (just because they're bigger)...but still have the 1920 x 1080 resolution found on smaller 23"-24" monitors).

Great info!

- Nick

I have not seen one personally, but I have heard very good things about the Dell. As you stated, there are not many choices for that resolution using IPS on the market. I would love to see the Dell and Apple side by side.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not seen one personally, but I have heard very good things about the Dell. As you stated, there are not many choices for that resolution using IPS on the market. I would love to see the Dell and Apple side by side.

Well...we do know that side by side the 27" Apple Cinema Display would be more stylish!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Well...we do know that side by side the 27" Apple Cinema Display would be more stylish!:)

- Nick

Amen to that! I would take it any day purely based on looks. Dell may have a nice panel, but it will always be encased in crappy plastic.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen to that! I would take it any day purely based on looks. Dell may have a nice panel, but it will always be encased in crappy plastic.

Unless the Dell 27" has "To Die For" features over the 27" Apple Display...for me...the $100 lower price isn't enough. If I'm going to spend close to $1000 on a monitor...I'll get the Apple.

But for some folks price may be everything...so $880-$899 for the Dell may be just the way to go.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Unless the Dell 27" has "To Die For" features over the 27" Apple Display...for me...the $100 lower price isn't enough. If I'm going to spend close to $1000 on a monitor...I'll get the Apple.

But for some folks price may be everything...so $880-$899 for the Dell may be just the way to go.:)

- Nick

The only thing I see it having is HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component connections, and the card reader over the Apple. Perfect for the OP's needs with his satellite receiver. $100 is not enough for me to stray from the Cinema Display, and I wouldn't need all those connections either.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have looked at the Apple and would love to have that but I was hoping to spend around $500. Do you have any suggestions at that price point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks for the help. I have looked at the Apple and would love to have that but I was hoping to spend around $500. Do you have any suggestions at that price point?

Sure, there are plenty of 27" screens out there that will fall into your price point. They are nowhere near the quality of the above 2 mentioned displays. Newegg has 24 models from various manufacturers that fit into your price point. Also, keep your eye on the Apple outlet as you can get the 24" Cinema Display for $599 (that is if you can lose the 3" of screen real estate).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

When you said that you wanted the BEST 27" monitor...you didn't give us a budget. If you REALLY want the BEST 27" monitor...$500 won't get it!

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
When you said that you wanted the BEST 27" monitor...you didn't give us a budget. If you REALLY want the BEST 27" monitor...$500 won't get it!

- Nick

Sorry I meant the best to fit my situation. I would have to have adapters and stuff with the Apple I am looking for more simplicity with excellent quality.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I meant the best to fit my situation. I would have to have adapters and stuff with the Apple I am looking for more simplicity with excellent quality.

Totally understandable...except that in your original post you didn't explain what your situation was.

Details...it's always about the details.:)

What sort of "adapters & stuff" do you think that you will need?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
With anything other than an Apple display you will need an adapter for your laptop to go from mini-display to VGA/HDMI, etc. Your satellite receiver should be pretty straight forward. You need a monitor that has HDMI for your receiver and DVI to use with the MacBook, and having them connected at the same time I am sure is key with you.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am putting this in my kitchen to replace my TV. Monitors seem to have better resolutions and response times than TVs. I want to hook it to my Dish Network Sat. and have a camera feed from outside. I also want to be able to hook my Macbook Pro to it and watch stuff or work on my photos. Mainly I want to use it for TV. The Apple display would have to have an adapter to hook up with an HDMI cable and I would have to have another adapter/cable to view the camera feed from outside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I am putting this in my kitchen to replace my TV. Monitors seem to have better resolutions and response times than TVs. I want to hook it to my Dish Network Sat. and have a camera feed from outside. I also want to be able to hook my Macbook Pro to it and watch stuff or work on my photos. Mainly I want to use it for TV. The Apple display would have to have an adapter to hook up with an HDMI cable and I would have to have another adapter/cable to view the camera feed from outside.

Yes, and you would be moving cables all the time. The Apple only has the one input. For you at this point Apple is 100% out based on your needs. Now you just need to decide what you get for your budget. If you are doing a camera too I am going to assume that you need composite too in addition to HDMI and DVI. Your best bet would be a 4 input model so you can do everything and easily switch between inputs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.