Set up with BT Home Hub and new iMac

Reaction score
I will shortly be moving house and have pre-ordered BT Broadband (rather than Sky BB) although we will be fairly remote from the exchange and I am only expecting a 2MB connection. I am also awaiting delivery of a new iMac computer but will be retaining the use of existing desktop PC and laptops but may eventually migrate laptops over to Macs.
My dilemma is how best to set up the networks in the house?

The iMac will be the main PC so do I start with connecting the BT Home Hub 3 to this (via wireless after plugging Home Hub 3 into telephone socket? Or must I hard wire HH3 to iMac?). Will the other PC/laptops see the HH3 so I can use/connect as normal or would it be advantageous to buy an AirPort Extreme to link with the iMac and HH3 to try and establish a better network around the house. We would like to have wireless printer remote fom iMac? Will buying an Apple AirPort extreme or something similar improve on the HH3 standalone solution?
Alternatively should I connect HH3 to my old PC using standard ethernet cable in an upstairs room and only access the internet remotely from my new iMac downstairs?

Bottom line is what is the best set up I can achieve with a weak Broadband signal to the house that will provide a wireless service between iMac and a variety of standard desktop/laptop/printer peripherals that could be well displaced around the house and distant from wherever the HH3 will be plugged in?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.