Wireless on very old Mac.

Reaction score
Can a G3 iMac (running on OS X 10.2.8) connect to wireless internet? If so, is it set-up already, or is some form of additional hardware needed to make it work?

I must add that this isn't my own computer I'm talking about, I'm posting this to get some advice for my interstate sister. So if the answer is something incredibly obvious, then apologies, I don't have the computer in front of me and couldn't see that. After trying to talk her through wireless set-up over the phone, it's become rather clear that our operating systems are far too different for me to be able to work it out without being there.

Any answer would be appreciated. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can a G3 iMac (running on OS X 10.2.8) connect to wireless internet? If so, is it set-up already, or is some form of additional hardware needed to make it work?

Most of the G3 iMac's can be setup to use wireless networking using Apple's Airport hardware. The very early iMac G3's could not. Probably best to let us know exactly what you have.

You need this Airport card:

411B5AP40TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And you need this adapter:

21EBp3McBSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can usually buy both via e-Bay or Amazon.com.

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To farther expand on what Nick said, can you give us the specs on that iMac G3?

OP
C
Reaction score
Mac OS X 10.2.8
Memory: 192 MB
Processor: 350 MHz PowerPC G3.

I got these specs from her last night, not sure if it really helps to narrow it down or not. Let me know what else could specify the model and I'll get them from her...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.2.8
Memory: 192 MB
Processor: 350 MHz PowerPC G3.

I got these specs from her last night, not sure if it really helps to narrow it down or not. Let me know what else could specify the model and I'll get them from her...

Yes it does help...but a definite answer is not 100% yet.

All of the iMac G3's that had "tray-loading" CD/DVD drives did not support Airport. This includes the:

- original 233mhz iMac G3
- all 266mhz "Fruit Colors" iMac G3's

In addition, the slot-loading:

- 350mhz "Fruit Colors" iMac G3's
- iMac G3 (Summer 2000 - Indigo) with a Slot-loading CD/DVD drive

...also did not support Airport.

The ONLY iMac G3 with a 350mhz or slower cpu that supported Airport was the "iMac G3 350mhz (Slot-loading Blueberry). This has a "slot-loading" CD/DVD drive.

So it is a little bit complex. We need to know if your iMac G3 has a:

- tray-loading or slot-loading CD/DVD drive
- and what color it is ("Blueberry" or "Indigo")

[size=+1]Blueberry:[/size]

apple_imac_350.jpg

[size=+1]Indigo:[/size]

apple_imac_indigo.gif

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought all 350's were in fact slot loaders, the very first model with 100MHz system bus speed and slot loaders. Certainly all sold Down Under were:-

You're right Harry. I was primarily trying to list all of the G3 iMacs that...were not...Airport card compatible...and I "lumped" the 350mhz slot-loaders in with the "tray-loaders".

Thanks for the "Head's Up"!:)

- Nick

p.s. Apple really made this sort of Airport compatibility confusing!;)

OP
C
Reaction score
So only the lighter, cyan-blue 'Blueberry' will be able to do it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So only the lighter, cyan-blue 'Blueberry' will be able to do it?

If it's 350mhz, has a slot-loading CD/DVD drive, and looks like the upper photo...then that is the only 350mhz model that supports built-in Airport.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I must add that this isn't my own computer I'm talking about, I'm posting this to get some advice for my interstate sister. So if the answer is something incredibly obvious, then apologies, I don't have the computer in front of me and couldn't see that.

...has a slot-loading CD/DVD drive, and looks like the upper photo...

I don't have a clue what it looks like! Currently I'm waiting for my sister to reply to my text messages, asking about the colour. But yes, thanks for clarifying all of that for me.

You need this Airport card:
411B5AP40TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And you need this adapter:
21EBp3McBSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What's the actual name (and specs, in the case of the adapter, so we can get the right one, assuming all goes well on the colour-match front...) for those?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a clue what it looks like! Currently I'm waiting for my sister to reply to my text messages, asking about the colour. But yes, thanks for clarifying all of that for me.

WHAT...you don't even know what it looks like!!! :p

What's the actual name (and specs, in the case of the adapter, so we can get the right one, assuming all goes well on the colour-match front...) for those?

Here's a person in Hong Kong selling 4 of them...I just did an e-Bay search for "airport adapter":

10 pcs Original Apple Adapter for Airport WiFi Card | eBay

FYI...this guys price is REALLY high @$43.99US. I paid about $15 for the ones I've purchased. Unless $43.99 is for 10 of them.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
WHAT...you don't even know what it looks like!!! :p

Well, as I said to begin with, it's not mine. It's my sister's, who bought it for her kids as something for her kids to play with (which should explain why we'd even be bothering with such a painfully slow, old setup. 350 MHz, I mean really...); and since she lives in New South Wales, a completely different state to me, no, I've not seen it. I'm posting here to help her get answers, it's not my computer.

Haha, I doubt she'll find a use for ten of them...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, as I said to begin with, it's not mine. It's my sister's, who bought it for her kids as something for her kids to play with (which should explain why we'd even be bothering with such a painfully slow, old setup. 350 MHz, I mean really...); and since she lives in New South Wales, a completely different state to me, no, I've not seen it. I'm posting here to help her get answers, it's not my computer.

You're original post seems a long time ago...so I forgot that detail.;)

Haha, I doubt she'll find a use for ten of them...

Yeah...I knew 10 would be too many...but it gives you some terminology to search for when looking for just one. You're not going to find these things at too many places other than e-Bay. These are parts for 10+ year old computers...so not very common.

In fact (back in the day) most iMac G3's used ethernet cables for networking. So:

- Airport
- Airport cards
- Wireless Routers (at the time)
- and these adapter cards

...were pretty darn expensive. So many iMac G3 owners just stayed with using ethernet cables for networking. By the time these parts we inexpensive enough...most of these iMac G3 owners probably upgraded to iMac G4's, or iMac G5's (which didn't need the adapter card).

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now there are four left so it is price per unit. Can do much better with a little Googling.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now there are four left so it is price per unit. Can do much better with a little Googling.

It's not super clear...but I think that this e-Bay guy may be selling 10 adapter's for $43.99...(and since it says he has 4 of them for sale...maybe that means he has a total of 40 adapter cards remaining). This would make the individual price $4.39 each (a very good price for folks that need them). Of course not many people need 10!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.