I cannot drag the applications to 2nd screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2011
Hello, I'm a new Mac user and I want to connect my new 2011 MacBookPro with my Samsung HDTV 1080p. I bought the mini display port to HDMI cable adapter and I managed to connect the MBP with the HDMI cable I already had with the TV. Reading several forums I realized it was normal to get the back of the screen on the TV instead of a mirror screen. I tried dragging the applications as you suggested but even though I managed to drag some icons, I can't drag the application itself. I'm trying to watch a program I downloaded from the internet and to use Quick Time Player to play it. If i tried to drag the Quick Time Player it disappears from the TV screen :Confused: If I tried to drag the minimized icon of the program that was already playing it does stays buy if I tried to play it once it is on the TV, there is no way I can maximized the icon, or increase it size at all, and there must be something wring I am doing because the sound keeps coming out from the laptop and no the TV while it starts playing in the little icon. (2011 models are no suppose to need a separate audio cable)
I tried to do mirror image and I don't have that option under "system preferences", "display" :Confused:
I'm so frustrated with all this, I have been trying to watch this programs for more than 3 days and I haven't been successful :(
Can somebody HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to it's own thread instead of inside a 3 yr old thread.

The mirror option is going to be on the bottom of the Appearance tab in Displays preferences.

You need to go to Sound preferences and select the proper output.

Can't help with the Quicktime issue. I'm don't think I've ever used the stand alone Quicktime player outside iTunes or the browser to play anything on my Mac. Although, it may work by making the external the primary display - see the following thread - Post 2 - Item 3.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.