Home Office Backup Solution

Reaction score
It's that time for a re-think on backup solution. This is a topic that will spark no end of opinions, they are all viable (well maybe not all), since I am revamping my backup solution for my Business (in my home including home files) it might help others who are looking for a new storage/backup solution similar to mine. Price isn't a massive factor, I'd rather invest in something that is future proof than buy something cheap and unreliable.

Storage wise, Looking at spreading the data across 6-7TB of storage. This can either be a combination of HDD's/RAID1/NAS etc. etc.

This will also be a wireless network, using airport extreme with USB hub or something similar.

Just to add to this, I'm not a huge fan of cloud backup on this scale. Of course include this as a solution but on this scale I think price would be an issue after all.

So here's my requirements.

1. TM backup - Don't want to go to this too often but it is always a good idea if you need to grab a file you deleted the next day and things alike.

2. Carbon Copy backup - Bootable drive incase my internal drive dies on me. This would ideally be the one I would return to if my internal drive crashed. RAID1 or separate HD so I can rotate drives and keep one offsite? Thoughts on this would be good.

3. Keep RAW data separate so that it stays in it's original state. i.e. photo's, video footage, DVD's.

4. iTunes Backup - This would be on a separate volume, using TM that I could then sync to my Carbon Copy drive daily.

Suggest Away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Price apparently isn't a concern since CCC and TM are free.

The Drobo FS has nice features as the storage can grow with you, it supports TM and can also utilize multiple disk sets for offsite capabilities.

CCC cannot use a NAS for cloning a drive but TM can restore an entire system if need be. Just use CCC a couple times a year to clone if you really think you need to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.