External Harddrive

• Thread starter WhiteWaveSpirit
  • Start date
W

WhiteWaveSpirit

I just got a seagate external harddrive. I want to use it share data between a mac and a PC. Can I run NTFS on the hd, or do I need something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
If you want to fully share files between Mac & PC you need it to be formatted as FAT32. Although NTFS works great on XP you can't write to it on Mac... only read. And of course any Mac filesystem can't be read on a PC without 3rd party software.

Usually external disks come formatted for FAT32 so you should be good to go already. I know the Seagate I bought was already FAT32.

OP
W

WhiteWaveSpirit

I was told that you can't use FAT32 on a mac because of some sort of partition issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
The only issue I am aware of with FAT32 is that you can't create files larger than 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I had a similar problem with a External HDD I had, it had 2 partitions, 1 FAT32, 1 NTFS, OSX didnt like that fact, so I was forced to delete the partitions in windows and format the drive under OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.