PDA

View Full Version : MF News Bot and Apple Rumors and Reports

6string
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Seems to me that MF News Bot has given Apple Rumors and Reports a really impersonal feel.

schweb
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Care to elaborate?

I should share that we've seen more participation and discussion in that forum from a statistical standpoint than prior to the bot's news feed. So it seems to be a positive for most people.

I'm curious to understand why you feel it's impersonal. Is it just the name? Are you aware that a person actually curates the news the bot posts? Is it the type of news? Or something else?

Also moved to a better forum.

6string
05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Amazing the tone that can come out when reading something....

I'm curious to understand why you feel it's impersonal. Is it just the name? Are you aware that a person actually curates the news the bot posts? Is it the type of news? Or something else?

Anyway, the "bot", has no opinion, no comment, just the rumour/report and link.
No contribution whatsoever to the continuing thread.
This to me seems very impersonal.

schweb
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Amazing the tone that can come out when reading something....

You have a history of reading a lot of "tone" into posts that isn't actually intended. Probably should start from the standpoint that there's not one, may help you under react in a way that isn't intended. ;)

Anyway, the "bot", has no opinion, no comment, just the rumour/report and link.
No contribution whatsoever to the continuing thread.
This to me seems very impersonal.

I see thanks for clarifying. The intent of News and Reports is to report the news and allow the community to comment and discuss so it seems to be working as we envisioned it at this point.

I would add that prior to the news bot, a majority of the news threads posted also were without comment, and often without even any text of the article. So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)

The new feed does a better job of including article text where copyright allows as well as less biased and more timely news based on the majority national user base of Mac-Forums. For example, rather than a bunch of news being posted overnight the day after it happened or was reported, the reporting is much closer to the time the news is actually made.

The process isn't perfect, but then no process ever is, and we'll constantly be looking at how to improve it.

6string
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
You have a history of reading a lot of "tone" into posts that isn't actually intended. Probably should start from the standpoint that there's not one, may help you under react in a way that isn't intended. ;)
Only reading what is there.... call that my history.

I see thanks for clarifying. The intent of News and Reports is to report the news and allow the community to comment and discuss so it seems to be working as we envisioned it at this point.
Ok then, what can I say to that.

I would add that prior to the news bot, a majority of the news threads posted also were without comment, and often without even any text of the article. So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)

So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)
??? Really, that's what you think this is?
ROFL :D

schweb
05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)
??? Really, that's what you think this is?
ROFL :D

Nope, you're again reading more into what I wrote other than the little humor I added at the end (hence the ;) ). Read the entire paragraph instead of pulling things out of context to get the entire meaning.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Deckyon
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Round and round we go.. .. ..

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I personally think we should be looking at the News Bot not as another user posting link to news and reports but as an automation of information designed to get the "real" users discussing the issues instead. If we look at it that way then I does indeed seem to be working very well. If you look at it as another member though then it possibly will seem a little "impersonal".
Just my take on things ;)

- Simon

schweb
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I personally think we should be looking at the News Bot not as another user posting link to news and reports but as an automation of information designed to get the "real" users discussing the issues instead. If we look at it that way then I does indeed seem to be working very well. If you look at it as another member though then it possibly will seem a little "impersonal".
Just my take on things ;)

- Simon

Thanks Simon.

We could always rename the bot to something more personal and then no one would know it's a bot. :)

j/k

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I vote for "Bob" or if you are all still sure it's a girlbot then "Bobette" :D

- Simon

schweb
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM

- Simon

Who was it that said they wanted it to be a girl? We should let them name it. :)

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I can't remember now, it was in a thread started when the Newsbot first came about.
I'll see if I can find the thread again.

- Simon

pigoo3
05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

- Simon

We could name the News Bot...an androgynous name like "Fred":

- Male = Fred
- Female = Fred (short for Frederica)

We could use some more females around the forum...so I vote for a female bot...or a "Fem-Bot"!;)

- Nick

p.s. "Fembot"...the Austin Powers reference...or maybe the more original reference from the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman 1970's TV shows.:)

Raz0rEdge
05-12-2011, 11:49 AM
My company calls the IT ticketing system FRED since we'd found that there is a disproportionate number of people named Fred working in IT and when any issue arose the usual statement was to "Ask Fred" about it..:)

Regards

schweb
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
How about "Pat"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_(Saturday_Night_Live)

baggss
05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
The real question is: How does the Bot keep getting Rep? Are people really rep-ing a Bot?

As for the rest, it's doing it's job pretty well, better than was done before....

Kevriano
05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Sir Trevor Macdonaldbot....

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Who was it that said they wanted it to be a girl? We should let them name it. :)

Twas I - although my feelings are hurt that you didn't remember. :'( :)

vansmith
05-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Shall we name it after you then? Perhaps Brianna? ;)

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Lets make it really controversial and call it "Brianna Montana" ;) haha

- Simon

Deckyon
05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Nope, "Brianna Botana"

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Why didn't I think of that? lol, anyone for Brianna Botana say "I" ;)

- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Shall we name it after you then? Perhaps Brianna? ;)

LOL - has a pretty nice ring to it actually :)

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
LOL - has a pretty nice ring to it actually :)

I think you may be a little biased to this name though ;)

- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I think you may be a little biased to this name though ;)

- Simon

True. :) And I can't promise not to stalk Brianna... I bet she has pretty hands too. :P

MYmacROX
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Getting back on topic... I think 6String has a good point about no follow-up comment or elaboration on news and reports. I hesitate to comment sometimes on a newsbot post because there's no viewpoint or opinion to comment on.
Which member was it that used to do all the news/rumors postings? I forget now. But at least he had a short summary of whatever the story was about. And often times an opinion or comment too.

I like the efficiency of newsbot, just wish it had a slightly more personal touch, i.e. comment/opinion on the topic.

vansmith
05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
That's actually what makes the news bot a good thing. Instead of diving into a critique or reinforcement of the opinion of the poster, one gets to judge the article for what it says. Even then, the first person offering up an opinion is fair game to everyone else.

Let's also not forget that everything written has a bias. You can always start there.

MYmacROX
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
That's actually what makes the news bot a good thing. Instead of diving into a critique or reinforcement of the opinion of the poster, one gets to judge the article for what it says. Even then, the first person offering up an opinion is fair game to everyone else.

Let's also not forget that everything written has a bias. You can always start there.

Of course, I understand that.
It's just sometimes the ball never gets rolling if the OP doesn't start things with a comment of his/her own. I've noticed way more threads by the newsbot that have 0 replies. This is very scarce when any other member creates a thread because they initialize the discussion with some comment or opinion in the initial post. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it seems that way to me. :\

schweb
05-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Which member was it that used to do all the news/rumors postings? I forget now. But at least he had a short summary of whatever the story was about. And often times an opinion or comment too.

Actually that's not accurate. Usually it was just a link to the news article with no commentary or context at all. I had even asked the member to start at least quoting a sentence or two from the article to which I met a great deal of resistance from him on the subject.

The news bot provides a summary of the article (where were allowed to b/c of copyright and terms of use) but it doesn't add its own commentary. Instead just reports on the news and allows the members to decide how they want to discuss or interpret the news.

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 02:27 PM

I tend to agree with this. The Bot does a good job of covering a wide range of sources, snagging most relevant news and excerpting the interesting portion. It's up to us readers to take a stance or offer additional perspective if we feel so inspired.

To be honest - I don't see much difference between the Bot and the previous method - except that the Bot seems to have more coverage and does a better job of selectively excerpting. I know I don't bring any news in here very often any more unless it's from a unique source because I'm pretty sure that Brianna will pick it up for us. (See what I did ;-) ). I think that's a good thing. It lessens the load on the membership and we can bring things to our fellow membership that are truly unique if we choose. No offense to the previous poster, because he really seemed to try hard and enjoy his niche role, - but sometimes I felt like he was overloaded by a self-imposed obligation to stay up on the news - and he really couldn't take the time to offer much in the way of commentary or sometimes the excerpts seemed hastily extracted - just to get the posting up.

I think Brianna and her handlers have been doing a pretty good job. :)

dtravis7
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
When I hear Bob I think of Microsoft BOB. :D Not sure how many know what Microsoft Bob is, but google it! Crazy application!

JohnCL
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
When I hear Bob I think of Microsoft BOB. :D Not sure how many know what Microsoft Bob is, but google it! Crazy application!

You really had to bring "MS Bob" up?? LOL I had totally forgotten about that!

Anyway, IMO the bot is doing a great job. The "other" way was more than not just a link, and I got to the point of not even looking at the thread. I hit the bot threads all the time now, so for me it is working perfectly.

Good work guys!

Buzzard2010
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15013&stc=1&d=1305222641

HEHE

- Simon

dtravis7
05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Hahahahah at Buzzard's picture!

I also feel the Bot is doing a quite good job at reporting the news. We can all comment so it's fine with me!

cwa107
05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Hahahahah at Buzzard's picture!

I also feel the Bot is doing a quite good job at reporting the news. We can all comment so it's fine with me!

Same here. I mean, unless we employ someone to round up the news and comment on it, we're not going to get the nice continuous flow that we're getting now.

At one time, I would have to go to another aggregate for news, now I see practically every important story here.

Kash
05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Another vote for the bot! Or is it Fred? Brianna? ;P

cwa107
05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd suggest Majel... as in, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, who provided the voice of the Enterprise in both Star Trek and Star Trek TNG. :D

MYmacROX
05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Actually that's not accurate. Usually it was just a link to the news article with no commentary or context at all. I had even asked the member to start at least quoting a sentence or two from the article to which I met a great deal of resistance from him on the subject.

Ok, well I was going off memory and mine isn't the best. It's actually close to being the worst! :Smirk:

Members or newsbots posting rumors and reports. Whatever, as long as we get a good consistent flow of postings that illicit responses and encourage discussion. :) It's all good.

robduckyworth
05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
While i do miss the8tharks posts, I quite like the way the bot presents the information and i generally think the content is relevant and up to date.

I especially like the way it (or whoever curates the data) quotes most of the headline, so you can choose whether you would like to read into it or not. This is much better than just having a link to click out of pure curiosity.

PS. i think we should simply call him Dave.

Also the "fem-bot" was harryb's idea, we should wait for him to turn up ;D

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Also the "fem-bot" was harryb's idea, we should wait for him to turn up ;D

First - you guys in the UK need to get a little more creative with your names. Everyone I know over there is named Dave, Nick, Steve or Nigel ;)

No - I can say confidently (Proof) (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/234383-exciting-changes-coming-rumors-reports-forum.html#post1213634) and additional plea (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/234576-apple-asks-toyota-take-cydia-theme-down.html#post1214560) that I was first to request the female bot - probably a sad testament really LOL. Good thing I'm married. ;)

MYmacROX
05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/Joelathon1/rosie.jpg

vansmith
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Mackenzie? May as well make it Mac related.

robduckyworth
05-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Mackenzie? May as well make it Mac related.

please, no! :D

dero
05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
...or iBob.
Only we would know.O:)

dero
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd suggest Majel... as in, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, who provided the voice of the Enterprise in both Star Trek and Star Trek TNG. :D

Oh, you mean nurse Chapel in the original and Rossana Troy in TNG also and yes Roddenberry's (RIP) wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post

Also the "fem-bot" was harryb's idea, we should wait for him to turn up

Dave's not in man. (a la Cheech 'N Chong)

cwa107
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/Joelathon1/rosie.jpg

I like it.... and we'd have a great avatar too.

BrianLachoreVPI
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I like it.... and we'd have a great avatar too.

Problem is - too many members here are probably already in a relationship with a Rosie...may lead to some issues :P

TattooedMac
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
To be totally honest, i have missed the8thark, and his posts. Doesnt matter though bc i have hooked up with him again in another forum. For those that wish to know, he is doing well enough now away from here. He was sad he had to go though as well.

Seems the bot is doing well buit i have read less thread from it than i did the8thark.

Cheers

vansmith
05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
please, no! :DBad experiences with a lady named Mackenzie? Hmmm? :P

robduckyworth
05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Bad experiences with a lady named Mackenzie? Hmmm? :P

Haha, not that, it just that here in the UK it seems to be the favourite name for 15-year-old teenage mothers to name their newly born child. Its "cross-platform".

it may have something to do with a certain brand of clothing they all seem to wear...

http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/big/48736369.jpg

Im surprised we dont see many named Adidas or Nike...

pigoo3
05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I do kinda like the Jetsons "Rosie" name & avatar.

Good reference for a "female bot".:)

- Nick

cwa107
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Ya know, we ought to start up a thread for suggestions and then put it out to a vote!

pigoo3
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Ya know, we ought to start up a thread for suggestions and then put it out to a vote!

I'm for that!:)

* male or female bot
* name for the bot

- Nick

Doug b
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Uni-bot. Genderless. Ala Jamie Lee Curtis but without the operation.

let's start there.

MYmacROX
05-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Dave's not here man. (a la Cheech 'N Chong)

Let me fix that for ya. ;D

Buzzard2010
05-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Has anyone set the thread up for a naming ceremony? If not i'll get on it straight away! ;)

- Simon

Lifeisabeach
05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Although the bot seems a bit impersonal, I think it's very practical in that it frees up members who would be spending a lot of time creating the news postings to do other things, either in real life or in the forums helping others. Quite often, the postings would be made without initial comment anyway, so in practice it's no less personal than before. And there's nothing stopping anyone from posting news on their own, not if they beat the bot to it anyway.

I like the idea of giving the bot a more personal name, though a simple human name should probably be avoided. Rather than "Pat", perhaps "Pat, Your Friendly Neighborhood NewsBot" so it's still clear that it's a botů but a bot we can connect to. :)

schweb
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok given the popular demand...look for an official naming nomination and poll for the news bot coming soon ;)

Buzzard2010
05-16-2011, 04:13 AM
This could be alot of fun ;)

- Simon