Keynote vs Powepoint.

B

BEEEsH

I'm going to be doing a presentation for class in a couple of weeks. I know powerpoint is pretty bare bones, but with enough work you can do some great things.

How does keynote compare considering I've never used it. What kind different things does it offer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
From my experience, they are more or less the same. Keynote really doesn't offer too much more or anything vastly different.
In fact, I find Keynote to be a very stripped down version of PowerPoint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i, myself find it much the opposite, and i care to endorse apple, and not microsoft. if you already have powerpoint use it, but if you're going to buy one get key note

OP
B

BEEEsH

macAttack said:
i, myself find it much the opposite, and i care to endorse apple, and not microsoft. if you already have powerpoint use it, but if you're going to buy one get key note

I've heard that you can do a lot of crazy transitions and things of that sort. I want to make this look as impressive as possible.

OP
S

sursuciofla

BEEEsH said:
I've heard that you can do a lot of crazy transitions and things of that sort. I want to make this look as impressive as possible.

The guy who heads my IT department loves keynote and the whole iworks package. He says it blows Office's family jewels off. This guy is DIE-HARD Apple though so take it for what it is worth. I trust him though so I would suggest keynote to you. Iwork is about half the price as well. If I was going to buy I would go for that over anything Microsoft. I only use Office for Mac only because it was provided to me. If I had to buy I would definately go iWork though just to reitterate. It's compatible with Office so you can pull up Office docs and presentations on iWork and vice versa, from what I understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BEEEsH said:
You can do the same transitions in both. It really comes down to your personal preference. I don't think either one is "better" than the other.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Both are pretty feature-complete now. Keynote has nicer graphs and tables, supports OS X's translucency and font tweaking, and has some smooth 3D transitions. PowerPoint is, well, PowerPoint: it's easier to share a .ppt with other people, or show them on other computers.

OP
B

BEEEsH

technologist said:
Both are pretty feature-complete now. Keynote has nicer graphs and tables, supports OS X's translucency and font tweaking, and has some smooth 3D transitions. PowerPoint is, well, PowerPoint: it's easier to share a .ppt with other people, or show them on other computers.

When I'm done with a keynote presentation, is there any way that i can view it on a PC?

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

in college my professors let us download his powerpoints slides so we can add our own notes to them. at first i started viewing them with powerpoint but it always seemed to get laggy and would end up freezing (this is on my powerbook g4 1.67ghz 1 gig ram nothing else running). but after i got keynote i haven't had any freezing or anything remotely close to lagging. but i havent tried to use keynote to make a presentation but so far what i have played around with it seems to work alot more better than powerpoint and seems to be a lot more stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BEEEsH said:
When I'm done with a keynote presentation, is there any way that i can view it on a PC?
You can export the presentation to a PowerPoint file (.ppt)

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

BEEEsH said:
key note allows you to export and import as powerpoint format. but i think there are a few bugs with some transition and fonts when going from keynote to powerpoint. i think the problem is something with powerpoint not having all the fonts and transitions as keynote so it turns out strange. but if anyone knows if they fixed that chime in.

OP
B

BEEEsH

Biturbo V12 AMG said:
key note allows you to export and import as powerpoint format. but i think there are a few bugs with some transition and fonts when going from keynote to powerpoint. i think the problem is something with powerpoint not having all the fonts and transitions as keynote so it turns out strange. but if anyone knows if they fixed that chime in.

Is there anyway to export the files as a quicktime file of some sort. If that is the case then no importing would be required. correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BEEEsH said:
Is there anyway to export the files as a quicktime file of some sort. If that is the case then no importing would be required. correct?
You can export it as:

1. a .ppt file (PowerPoint)
2. a QuickTime movie
3. a PDF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i went to a mac users group meeting at home and they did a keynote presention and i can tell that key note is way better than powerpoint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can even export from keynote as a Flash movie to put on the web!

I found keynote a bit quirky to use at first, but once you get to grips with it, it's a lot cooler.

The thing I found weird is that all the options are in the 'Inspector' palette. It makes it seem as though it has hardly any options compared to powerpoint's overflowing menu bar. But it's just tidier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.