problem installation windows xp

Reaction score
Hi

I've bought a macbook pro a few days ago.
Now i'm trying to install windows xp with bootcamp.
The partitioning worked but when the computer rebooted, the screen: "hardwareconfiguration being checked" appeared
(this is a translation so i don't know if it is correct, but in dutch it says: harwareconfiguratie wordt gecontroleerd...")
It is the first screen that appears when the computer reboots and i'm waiting for 45 minutes now and it won't go away...
I searched the internet for answers and i read that it could be that the disk is damaged but i checked and it has only some tiny scratches.
Does anyone have an idea about how i could solve this problem?

Thx

kl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not install Windows XP on a new MBP. It's not compatible nor are there any drivers. You must run either Vista or Windows 7.

Go back to OS X Snow Leopard. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, and then select "restore". That will remove the Boot Camp partition and any XP left overs and restore the machine back to 100% OS X.

Afterward you can install Windows Vista or Windows 7 by running the Boot Camp assistant again.

OP
C
Reaction score
hi

thanks for the answer!!!
maybe it was a stupid question, but in the manuals they always said i could use xp to, but i must have read over the fact that i can't usse xp on the new MBP.

Thanks a lot, i already thought my harddrive was crashing or something like that.

kl

OP
C
Reaction score
hey i've got another question:
can i install windows xp if i se parallels desktop?

thx

kl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes you can. As a matter of fact, unless you have some graphic intensive or 3D apps to run (such as games) it's much easier to use Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox to run Windows in a VM.

Try the free VirtualBox instead of buying Parallels or Fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
You can not install Windows XP on a new MBP. It's not compatible nor are there any drivers. You must run either Vista or Windows 7.

Go back to OS X Snow Leopard. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, and then select "restore". That will remove the Boot Camp partition and any XP left overs and restore the machine back to 100% OS X.

Afterward you can install Windows Vista or Windows 7 by running the Boot Camp assistant again.
YIPE!! I did that and now when I boot, I get: no bootable device Insert boot disk and press any key. What does it want?? After I did the above, it said I was successful and now the whole hdd is my MacOs 10.3something. Now I need to get there soon so I can go home!!

Jann

Reaction score
Ah bummer!!

I have a iMac with an i3 processor just before the thunderbolt motherboard, and that has installed XP fine?

Just got a new i5 with thunderbolt and im having the same thing with XP install getting stuck on the hardware inspection screen!

Is this something that may get patched?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, Apple is not going to patch it. XP is no longer supported.

You have to realize, XP ceased production while the current hardware was only a twinkle in someone's eye and 5 years prior to it's manufacture. There are not going to be any drivers for XP by much of the hardware coming onto the market at this point.

(Yes, yes, I know... MS continued making and selling XP discs long after it was really discontinued due to the outcry over it's replacement.)

It's time for XP to find it's place on our shelves along with our copies of DOS, Win 3.1, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
No, Apple is not going to patch it. XP is no longer supported.

You have to realize, XP ceased production while the current hardware was only a twinkle in someone's eye and 5 years prior to it's manufacture. There are not going to be any drivers for XP by much of the hardware coming onto the market at this point.

(Yes, yes, I know... MS continued making and selling XP discs long after it was really discontinued due to the outcry over it's replacement.)

It's time for XP to find it's place on our shelves along with our copies of DOS, Win 3.1, etc.

I miss my DOS! Does this mean I can only put Win7 or (cough,choke) Vista on another partition on my Mac Mini? No problem but it will have to wait. In the meantime, I have taught myself and my granddaughter how to do things with MacOs 10.6.

Jann All in the US: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I posted in this thread.... If you want to run XP, DOS, Win95, WFWG 3.11, even OS/ 2, use virtual machine software. Since VirtualBox is still free, it might be fun to install one of those dinosaurs to see if it works. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.