• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BlackBerry PlayBook: Amateur Hour Is Over

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
As someone stated,
If they are going to claim the other one as amateur, they perhaps shouldn't call their's Playbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
RIM needs to fire that advertising agency. The reason the iPad ads were so great was that they simply focused on the iPad's capabilities. In 30 seconds the ad demonstrated the versatility of the device without once mentioning the competition. Samsung learned from this when advertising its Galaxy Tab. Motorola did the same thing as RIM with its Honeycomb tablet, it simply blasted at Apple instead of highlighting the features of Honeycomb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
RIM needs to fire that advertising agency. The reason the iPad ads were so great was that they simply focused on the iPad's capabilities. In 30 seconds the ad demonstrated the versatility of the device without once mentioning the competition. Samsung learned from this when advertising its Galaxy Tab. Motorola did the same thing as RIM with its Honeycomb tablet, it simply blasted at Apple instead of highlighting the features of Honeycomb.

QFT..

Hey if they do it with the iPhone..there gonna bash the iPad as well

And it's always the same argument..no flash,no usb or hdmi less ram etc.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think the problem with many ad agencies is they think that the product is a super great product and superior to everything else. Thus a lot of the ads you see about the latest gadgets kind of make you want to change the channel.

Not that Apple is superior in any way...;D

Reaction score
This. But most importantly, they showed what the tablet DID, not what enabled it to DO. Car commercials show the car driving in a nice, scenic landscape, in rain, or in some glorious city. Driving around looking good. They don't show the engine, they don't show the exhaust, they don't focus on the tires and the time it takes to get to 60mph. They focus on the whole package.

Apple is one company that knows how to do this, they focus on the entire package of what you're getting. You don't have an iPhone? you don't have all of these little things that make up, the iPhone. Of course I'm somewhat of a nerd and don't really like iOS due to its limitations, however the commercials are better than any other phone commercials I'm watching.

When the Xoom commercials started airing, I really wondered what Moto was doing.... yes it appeals to us nerds but chances are, we already know the specs and the information about the tablet. They need to capture the main audience, one that isn't interested in GPU/CPU specs, RAM, pixel density, and other technical specs. They want the experience.

Heck, the latest iPad 2 commercial is nice and shows what "musicians, doctors, etc." think about the tablet, however I as a consumer wouldn't even use one of those programs. Does that matter? Nope. The tablet LOOKS awesome and looks like something I would want to buy. Product sold.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.