• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mountain Dew - This is important

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, what I am about to tell you is possibly the best news in Mountain Dew history.

Mountain Dew Pitch Black is BACK!

Mountain Dew - The Official Site

I am elated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, the best news in MtnDew history is the news that the Throwback is no longer Limited Run, and it's in full time production.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Stop poisoning your body with that high fructose corn syrup and drink water. Seriously. I overindulged sodas since my teens and when I finally kicked that crap out of my life, I've been the healthiest in years. I can't even tolerate the stuff now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I say go for it. Drink all the Dew you can....

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Stop poisoning your body with that high fructose corn syrup and drink water. Seriously. I overindulged sodas since my teens and when I finally kicked that crap out of my life, I've been the healthiest in years. I can't even tolerate the stuff now.

I work at Panera Bread. I get free soda there. Yet every time I work, I get water instead. I think I will be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I've never even heard of Pitch Black and Supernova Mountain Dew. :) I'll give each a sip, but I'm not much of a corn syrup fan.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I couldn't tolerate Mountain Dew, when I did drink pop. I've always been a Cherry Coke fan.

Since it's been years from the last time I drank pop, I can't drink it without wincing from the sweetness. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I work at Panera Bread. I get free soda there. Yet every time I work, I get water instead. I think I will be okay.

That all depends on what you drink away from work and how much. High fructose corn syrup is seriously about the worst thing you can put in your body. I'm of the opinion that it should carry warning labels like cigarettes. It's that bad for the body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That all depends on what you drink away from work and how much. High fructose corn syrup is seriously about the worst thing you can put in your body. I'm of the opinion that it should carry warning labels like cigarettes. It's that bad for the body.

But golly gee.. The guvn'mt and the FDA says that high fructose corn syrup is sugar... and that sugar is sugar! They'd NEVER lie to us.. NEVER I SAY ! You must be one a dem' pinko commies... and a traitor! You don't like mah countreeee.. GiiID OUUUUT! (theeer try'n a take R JERBS ! ) Sorry... bit of a South Park rant there. I couldn't stop laughing while typing it all.

Yeah, anybody who took college level bio, perhaps even H.S. depending upon where you went, knows the truth about modified corn starches, corn syrups etc.. Corn in its self has zero nutritional value, pretty much like Iceberg lettuce. Much like milk, your body isn't meant to break down the likes of high "fructose" corn syrup. Unfortunately, the latter has the ability to wreak havoc with some people.

I too grew up with soda.. my favorite was Fresca. I'd probably still take a sip if it were in front of me, freezing cold. In fact, I drank some ginger ale earlier, and feel sorry for it. It tasted nasty, actually. Give me water, O.J. mixed with Cranberry (again, the kind without the HFCS) and seltzer.

But I haven't been a soda drinker for years now, which is likely the one reason I haven't gained much weight (I love junk food) since I don't work out much. Plan on changing that too, though. In fact, I might be making a major change in my diet.. but that's for another thread. The only people who benefit from HFCS are the farmers who raise corn crops and the kind guvn'mt people who take a percentage from them.

As for us, we're the expendable... collateral damage, if you will. Ah.. gotta love capitalism. KA-CHING! Democratic system indeed.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Tried to resist the urge to jump in here because I can come across as a food fanatic sometimes. But I too am convinced that HFCS has been one of the worst food chemistry developments relative to our health of all time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Is Sugar Really Healthier Than Corn Syrup?

Why everything you've been told about sweets is wrong.

[...]

This earned the refiners plenty of flak, but you can hardly blame them for trying. After years of flogging by nutritionists and foodies, HFCS has become, well, a four-letter word. This wasn't always so. Back in the '70s, table sugar (a.k.a. sucrose) was the bad guy. People associated it (rightly) with tooth decay and diabetes, whereas fructose, the predominant sugar in fruit, seemed a more natural option. Gary Taubes, author of the nutritional bestseller Good Calories, Bad Calories, explains that manufacturers of items like Snapple and sweetened yogurt didn't want sugar in the first few ingredients, because it made their products appear unhealthy. So corn-syrup marketers capitalized on fructose's good reputation, and by the '80s, food and beverage manufacturers were switching to HFCS in droves.

Now the pendulum has swung back: Corn syrup is the demon, while sugar (sometimes cleverly disguised as "evaporated cane juice") is back in vogue. But all this back-and-forth makes little sense since, nutritionally speaking, the two sweeteners are practically identical. Yes, fructose is bad for you. (More on that later.) But every nutritionist I spoke with agreed that table sugar—a molecule composed of one part fructose to one part glucose—is no better, really, than food-grade HFCS, which contains the same ingredients in a roughly 55/45 ratio. The main distinction is that the fructose and glucose units are joined in sugar and detached in corn syrup. But since the small intestine promptly breaks that bond, it doesn't matter.

[...]

Unlike glucose, which the body stores in various tissues for use as fuel, fructose is sent to the liver for processing. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California-San Francisco, has shown that it causes a buildup of fats there, triggering a host of health problems including diabetes, gout, and heart disease. Most worrisome, Lustig says, it can lead to insulin resistance, a hormonal snafu that makes you feel hungry even when you're full. "The way fructose is metabolized leads you to want to eat more," he explains—no great revelation to anyone who's ever slain a pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting.

[...]

The Complete Article

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, this turned into a health nut thread....:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So, what I am about to tell you is possibly the best news in Mountain Dew history
Mountain Dew Pitch Black is BACK!Mountain Dew - The Official Site
I am elated.

Im shocked at the elation of a individual over something so inconsequential in the context of the world we live in.

Need to get out a bit i think ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow, this turned into a health nut thread....:|

Says the man in perfect shape ;D I ain't a health nut dude, believe me. Pizza is my BFF! And I'd rather fill my belly with beer and wine, rather than any Coca Cola product on the market, any day. But then... .beer and wine actually have redeeming health qualities in moderation.

As to the article comparing sugar and HFCS, the difference between them is in how our organs process them and it's a huge difference. Refined sugar is a nightmare as well. Brown sugar, natural cane sugar are the easiest for our bodies to use and process. They don't dwell like the others and are easier to get rid of or use for energy.

And I'd be willing to bet that a lot of so-called vegetarians don't know this, but... white granular sugar, is refined with animal bones. I personally don't care about this, just an interesting fact.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was drinking a 2Liter of Doctor Pepper a day. It and other things I was doing ended up hurting me physically. I would give the new DP a try but am on a strict diet and in most ways feel 100% better than I did, so I will have to pass.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Just released Mountain Dew in the UK recently. Haven't tried it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Says the man in perfect shape ;D I ain't a health nut dude, believe me. Pizza is my BFF! And I'd rather fill my belly with beer and wine, rather than any Coca Cola product on the market, any day. But then... .beer and wine actually have redeeming health qualities in moderation.

Not at all. It just seems like a few comments were posted about Mountain Dew and the unsolicited advice about sugar, health issues and so on ensued. The OPs were just jazzed about the beverage of their choice, not asking for health advice. Yet immediately nearly everyone jumped on the whole "Soda and sugar are bad for you" bandwagon. I don't get why.

TattooedMac said:
Im shocked at the elation of a individual over something so inconsequential in the context of the world we live in.

Really? I suspect the OP is young and as we all do he (she?) places emphasis on the things in our world that bring us joy. If it happens to be the Dew for the OP, why does that even matter? Nothing about it is really shocking. You may disagree with it (I know I do) but to them and probably their friends it's a part of life. I can tell you that my 18 year old is jazzed about the two things mentioned in the first 2 posts in this thread, but maybe that's why I'm not shocked.

Just released Mountain Dew in the UK recently. Haven't tried it yet.

I drink it on occasion. It's not bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not at all. It just seems like a few comments were posted about Mountain Dew and the unsolicited advice about sugar, health issues and so on ensued. The OPs were just jazzed about the beverage of their choice, not asking for health advice. Yet immediately nearly everyone jumped on the whole "Soda and sugar are bad for you" bandwagon. I don't get why.

Really? I suspect the OP is young and as we all do he (she?) places emphasis on the things in our world that bring us joy. If it happens to be the Dew for the OP, why does that even matter? Nothing about it is really shocking. You may disagree with it (I know I do) but to them and probably their friends it's a part of life. I can tell you that my 18 year old is jazzed about the two things mentioned in the first 2 posts in this thread, but maybe that's why I'm not shocked.

I drink it on occasion. It's not bad.

It's hard to take the word of ones elders. No kid or teen or young adult wants to hear anything from anybody, unless it's direct pressure from their peers. But I kind of wish I had someone to tell me how crappy soda was when I was younger. I do hate preaching..and hate being preached to, so I'm with you on that. I take it back.. Go head and drink yer self silly full of the Dew.. DO IT ! Come on ya panzie! (thrown in for good measure)

Anyway, I don't really think there's too much wrong with interjecting a differing opinion (opinion being that MD isn't so great, no matter the reason) in an open discussion. It could be said that the purpose of the original post was created in order to sell said product. As such, it's logical that there be opponents who wish to dissuade others from doing so. (human nature dictates the presence of butt-inskies!)

Man...it's so weird getting old(er)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
And I'd be willing to bet that a lot of so-called vegetarians don't know this, but... white granular sugar, is refined with animal bones. I personally don't care about this, just an interesting fact.

While true, none of the bones end up in the actual product. Therefore, the sugar is still truly vegetarian.

As for the OP, I remember back when I used to drink Mountain Dew. I tried the Throwback version and it tastes much better than the HFCS version, as does everything else that's switched back to sugar, such as Snapple. However, my household was never big on soda, we were always a juice family. Though after finding out how much sugar those processed juices have, I stopped drinking those as well. Water has been my primary drink for a while now.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I am a bit addicted to coca cola (is that too mainstream?) mainly due to the caffeine. however i only drink it at work, to keep me awake and energetic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.