• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

White iPhone trumps new iMac's ? Really?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Went to check out the new iMac line up, and was surprised (personally speaking) to see that Apple's main page is making a bigger deal out of a cosmetic change to the iPhone than the release of the new iMacs with actual new hardware features.

I dunno... just seemed kind of odd to me. Guess I don't get the entire "culture" just yet.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I sort of felt the same way today when I checked to see if the new iMac was released. I had to look to find out!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe they're tired of exchanging out 'who knows how many' for those that just bought them and now want the new model.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I had exactly the same thought a few minutes ago when I looked. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe it's because they'll sell more white iPhones than new iMacs? ;D

Reaction score
Maybe it's because they'll sell more white iPhones than new iMacs? ;D

I think that will definitely be the case. For many apple customers, cosmetic changes like these are enough to warrant the purchase of a new product.

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw the website this morning...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not as though the new iMacs are ignored altogether. They're mentioned in the bottom left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I kind of thought the same thing. When I heard the news I just surfed over to their main page expecting to find a giant photo of the new models linked to their info page, but got the white iPhone instead.

I think the biggest reason you're not seeing it is because it took so long to come out and was such a big deal to finally put on the market. iPhones and iPads will outsell iMacs every day, but the biggest news is the white iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
My theory is that when something becomes a personal Steve Jobs challenge it gets unnecessary extra attention when it's completed. ;) For example, when the Beatles were finally sold on iTunes.

Some people have been waiting a long time for this white iPhone but I think the percentage of people wanting a white iPhone is not the majority of iPhone owners. I was also surprised to see the new iMacs get less attention since there is probably more people interested in them.

Reaction score
Touchy Feely

I hear you re the culture, Apple is as much about aesthetics and form as it is about function. The white makes some people "feel" better, so I guess that makes it a bit deal :Confused:

Marketing Team.PNG

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My theory is that when something becomes a personal Steve Jobs challenge it gets unnecessary extra attention when it's completed. ;) For example, when the Beatles were finally sold on iTunes.
The Beatles are on iTunes?! This is the best news I've ever heard! Why did no one tell me about this? :p

The answer to this is simple: anticipation. People have been waiting for the white iPhone 4 for quite some time and the new iMacs, for many, are simply a refresh and wouldn't have generated the same level of anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
Yeah this annoyed me as well, but the White iPhone had just been released so they want to give it more time I suppose.

This is kind of what happened when the MacBook Pro's were refreshed this year, and the iPad 2 came out like a week later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer to this is simple: anticipation. People have been waiting for the white iPhone 4 for quite some time and the new iMacs, for many, are simply a refresh and wouldn't have generated the same level of anticipation.
I get that and that's what I'm was basically joking about above when I said it's a personal Steve Jobs challenge to get done. In other words I'm saying that Jobs is so happy that it's finally available that he's celebrating by giving it more attention than it deserves like the Beatles' overhyped release on iTunes. ;)

I just think the number of white iPhone customers don't outnumber the amount of iMac customers so IMO Apple is giving a lot of attention to a product that a small percentage of people will buy. For the rest of us who don't care about a white iPhone the news of this new color is as exciting as them announcing a new blue colored iPod Shuffle. I would understand if this was the iPhone 5 but it's really just a new color with other minor changes. It's only been anticipated by those who cared for a white iPhone. I don't think other Apple users cared.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have to wonder how many people actually waited for the white iPhone. Was it really worth the wait when, at least for me, wrapping the black iPhone in a white case would have been sufficient?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to wonder how many people actually waited for the white iPhone. Was it really worth the wait when, at least for me, wrapping the black iPhone in a white case would have been sufficient?
I wonder too. I know some people gave up on the white iPhone because it took so long so maybe the number of people waiting is even less than predicted. I never cared about a white iPhone so it never affected me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
White phone ,black phone, red phone = white case, black case, red case and the cases are cheaper then buying a phone. If you ask me...

I know, the purest will gang up on me, I never,never put my phone in a case.

Ah well. (shruggs shoulders and crawls back under the truck)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.