ipad deleting calendar information

Reaction score
Hi

My wife first noticed this issue - now it's happening to me too!

We have an iMac running OS X 10.6.7 with separate log in's.
We also have a macbook configured the same way.
We each have an iphone 3GS iOS 4.2.1
And an ipad iOS 4.3.2

We both sync using our own mobile me accounts.

I switched to the new calendar about 6 months ago and switched my wife over last week.

My wife uses her calendar on the ipad not only as a "what do I need to do?" tool but also as a "what did I do last month?" tool. She first noticed that old entries on her calendar were missing from the ipad. These were mostly, but not all, all day and/or multiple day entries, some had been edited after the date of event but some hadn't. Most had been entered on the ipad but some had been first entered on the imac.

I then tried my own calendars and the exact same thing has happened!

The really strange thing is that the imac and macbook show all entries but the phone and ipad are dropping them at random.The further back you go in time the less entries remain! I even re-entered an event on the ipad on a historical date. After a couple of seconds it synced across to the imac as I would expect, then, about 30 seconds later it disappeared from the ipad right in front of my eyes! I tried the same but first entering the event on the imac. This worked well, at first, the info synced across to the ipad - This time it stayed there for an hour then was gone!!!

I've tried Apple's own support on this but they wanted £69 just to talk to me about it!!!

Anybody got any ideas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
There is a setting on your Mac to delete stuff that is older than XX days. When it deletes from your Mac, it deletes from your Mobile Me and so on down the food chain. It happened to me. Mine was set at 30 by default.

Go into iCal on your Mac(s), to Preferences, to Advanced and uncheck the "Delete Items XX Days after they pass". I think that may solve your problem.

OP
E
Reaction score
Class77

Thanks for the reply, but I've already tried that. As it is the ical on the mac is still fully populated - It's the information on the ipad that's disappearing.

If I look at future months the two tie up perfectly - It's past information that's missing on the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
At the risk of not getting the answer right again, there is also an option in Mobile Me calendar preferences that says to hide events after XX days. I noticed you said you had upgraded to the new calendar, so it's just a guess on my part.

OP
E
Reaction score
Think I've fixed my problem. But if anyone else is having a similar issue:

On the ipad go to Settings then Mail, Contacts, Calendars Scroll down to the Calendars section and see what is shown next to Sync
Mine was set to Events 1 month back so I changed it to All Events

How wonderful it was to watch all my past events suddenly reappear!!

My guess is I was adding data which wouldn't sync up to Mobile me because it was more than a month old, then when Mobile me tried to sync back down it erased the data because it didn't have it!!!

Reaction score
You saved me!!!

Thank you very much for the post! You saved me and my calendar!

C

chas_m

Bear in mind that syncing all events going back years will eat up significant space on your mobile devices. Try something more reasonable like three months back if you're concerned about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.