Looking to breath some new life into an old G4

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have now been a mac owner for a total of 24 hours. I've come by an old 2003 Power Mac G4 (model number: M8570).
The HDD seems to be unusable but other than that the machine seems to be in decent order.
I also have a brand new 1TB external HDD with mac OS leopard installed which I've been told I should be able to run the G4 from (I'm collecting it tonight).
I'm thinking of investing some money and trying to put a new processor in (thinking of the i7) and of course upgrading the RAM accordingly. Being very unfamiliar with macs I'm basically looking for guidance on whether this is even possible and if so if there are any likely problems I'll hit.

Thanks in advance guys,
Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi guys, I have now been a mac owner for a total of 24 hours. I've come by an old 2003 Power Mac G4 (model number: M8570).
The HDD seems to be unusable but other than that the machine seems to be in decent order.
I also have a brand new 1TB external HDD with mac OS leopard installed which I've been told I should be able to run the G4 from (I'm collecting it tonight).
I'm thinking of investing some money and trying to put a new processor in (thinking of the i7) and of course upgrading the RAM accordingly. Being very unfamiliar with macs I'm basically looking for guidance on whether this is even possible and if so if there are any likely problems I'll hit.

Thanks in advance guys,
Tom

Keep dreaming!!!;) Some Powermac G4's did have processor upgrade possibilities (a faster G4 cpu or dual G4 cpu's)...but ABSOLUTELY nothing even close to an Intel cpu...let alone an Intel "i7" cpu!!!!!!

Some of the earlier Powermac's also had a 128gig hard drive limit (so that 1 terabyte drive won't do any good)...and max. ram is probably 1.5 or 2.0 gig.

We would need more exact model info when you get it...but the basic limitations listed above for a 2003 Powermac G4 should give you an idea of it's limits.

Also (depending on the model)...in the U.S. many older Powermac G4 models are only worth around $50 bucks (maybe a little more in the UK if that's where you're from). Thus investing too much $$$/£££ isn't a wise idea.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.