hosting my own website

C

ChrisAngus

hi, i want to host my own website on my imac g5 and have lots of questions, are there any good guides that start with the basics.

my broadband provider can offer me a fixed IP for £5 per month but i believe i need to register a domain name, do i also need something to direct my domain name to my ip?
can anyone recomend where i register in the UK.

is there an application in mac to build web pages.

I've tried various searches on the net but get overwhelmed with info and i am new to the mac.

Reaction score
Your registar should be able to setup your domain so it goes to your IP. I don't know where to register in the UK but GoDaddy.com is the cheapest in the US. OS X doesn't come with an app to do webpages except for the basic text editors which are a great place to start.

OP
W

wphowell

You'll want to go with a domain registrar that will also provide DNS services so that you can have the domain point to your server. You'll need a good web server; Apache is the best and can be obtained at www.apache.org. There are plenty of tutorials available on using Apache, so you should find lots of help.

Reaction score
Apache comes with OS X so you won't even have to download it. Check with your ISP before investing too much time into this, most residential services(at least in the US) don't allow for hosting servers.

OP
C

ChrisAngus

mynameis said:
Apache comes with OS X so you won't even have to download it. Check with your ISP before investing too much time into this, most residential services(at least in the US) don't allow for hosting servers.

Hi thanks, i've setup the server and it does work. http://84.9.197.159/
Do i still need to check with my provider that its allowed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ChrisAngus said:
Do i still need to check with my provider that its allowed?
Yes, you definitely want to check with them. Otherwise, depending on the provider, they could shut you down and cancel your service. They might even be able to charge a fine. Reason is, this is what some spammers do. I am not implying that is what you plan on doing, but your ISP might not be as understanding.

OP
S

sivp

I just set up an old 1.8 ghz laptop with ubuntu linux and install vhcs2.. (Free Opensource Cpanel Alternative) It's great.. and fast.. and installs everything you ever need. i.e. pop3, imap, mysql-server etc..
all that jazz..

OP
N

NewbcaM

Before I moved to the woods with dial up I ran a server with apache on an old pent II 400 runnin linux redhat thru my cable provider and they never gave me the blues about it, but it was "officially" against the rules. . LoL , I still have that old box still running too, but not live anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.