• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yes or No, UK Public?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Are you going to vote Yes or No to the referendum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not a clue mate, why do we want a voting system that the rest of the world has rejected. Leave it as it is I say.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a clue mate, why do we want a voting system that the rest of the world has rejected. Leave it as it is I say.

spot on mate, exactly what i think. why change a system when you could just vote logically in the first place? AV just makes it far more confusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm from the UK originally but live in germany where we have a proportional representation system.

I'd say go for it: people will be able to give some of their support to the parties they actually want to see win, instead of being forced just to keep other parties out. It should lead to a more democratic parliament and will hopefully force candidates to reach across party lines a bit more as well...

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say go for it: people will be able to give some of their support to the parties they actually want to see win, instead of being forced just to keep other parties out.

But that sounds good until you realise alot of these other parties are not all they are cracked up to be (BNP, "crazy loony party, or whatever its called)

To me, I want to know that my vote makes a direct count towards who comes out on top. I dont want it "spread around" so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
AV means that the ridiculous fringe parties will be marginalised and the other serious parties will have a shot.

It's essentially still fptp, but it just slightly boosts the profile of some smaller parties AND marginalises the crazies.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do see your point, and it does sound rational, but not to the same extent as FPTP.

And there are alot of idiots in this country that seem to think the BNP will do good, or like to treat the system like a joke, and waste their vote. with AV, they could essentially add strength to two parties (by adding a 1 to a party, and a 2 to another.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Lets face it, there is not one person in any of the parties that has any quality about them that would make me give them a vote.
Rich public school boys all, and with all the charisma of a stale crisp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I find this thread entertaining. Carry on.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But that sounds good until you realise alot of these other parties are not all they are cracked up to be (BNP, "crazy loony party, or whatever its called)
Personal belief no? Every party, regardless of their beliefs, is entitled to representation. FPTP, in a multi-party system (and by multi, I mean more than two), just doesn't work. Let me give you an example. In the 2008 general election here in Canada, one party got 1.3 million votes and that secured them 49 seats in the Commons. Another party got 900,000 and got zero seats. A third party got 2.5 million and secured only 37 seats. The math just doesn't work when you have three or more parties.

The reason that people reject alternate systems is because they are never explained properly and people are generally complacent about the systems in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.