PDA

View Full Version : Photo of the month: May 2011

iWhat
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Each member can post one photograph in this thread each month.
The desktop cannot be larger than 800x600.
Not only will posting inappropriate pictures get them deleted, it will also get you banned. This includes anything semi-lewd. This is a family forum if it's not PG then don't post it.

VaughnA
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
It's only the second of May but I've already found mine.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5675947119_4bfa9b83a3_z.jpg

BrianLachoreVPI
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I really like that

calams
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
canon 5d+50/1.2
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/889/linesg.jpg

Doug b
05-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm not really into Topaz or heavy handed HDR stuff, but I really like the content of that shot VaughnA. I'd love to see that as a B&W conversion.

Doug

Manveer
05-02-2011, 11:13 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5087/manveer.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/manveer.jpg/)

johndope83
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5689897742_2cb7bb4b4f_z.jpg

Collage made by Collage Creator free from App Store

fleurya
05-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Voughn: excellent job on that, very creative. I think it's frame-worthy!

John: great collage, though I'd probably put a pic of me and my girl as the big center photo.

I just got my first DSLR and have been snapping away. I just need to learn to process the RAW files and then maybe I can post my own. Anybody know the best program for a noob like me to process RAW photos? I have an old copy of CS3. I was thinking it might be best to start with the best, but on the other hand it might be too overwhelming for me as a beginner.

VaughnA
05-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Anybody know the best program for a noob like me to process RAW photos? I have an old copy of CS3. I was thinking it might be best to start with the best, but on the other hand it might be too overwhelming for me as a beginner.

Thanks for the comments. I'd start first with Aperture, it has decent raw processing for most, if not all, DSLRs and with the app store it's a steal. I rarely us Photoshop, I do 95% of my work in Aperture and Nik Tools Plugins.

Hooterjb
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I just started with iPhoto...Tell me what you all think

in00b
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Omaha 2011

Sanman
05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't know if this one is really worthy, or even close to all the other great photos, but please let me know what you think ;D

I toned down the colors and added a little bit of yellow.

Hooterjb
05-07-2011, 02:49 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5693606400_02959eefa8_b.jpg

Just started experimenting with iPhoto....feedback would be appreciated

Doug b
05-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Cool collage John... What did you shoot the coral with? Did you use underwater housing or a dedicated camera?

@Calams... Something soothing about the composition, and I'm not sure if it's because there's really no particular subject in focus. I wonder how it would strike me were either the rocks or the person in focus. Perhaps that's the point? ha.

@inoob... .love it. Very nice B&W conversion and great expressions on their faces.. good capture.

@Sanman: I really enjoy the muted tones, but I'd play with the levels a bit more and try to give the sky just a bit of punch.. Cute subject.

Hooter... The foreground is messing up a lovely composition. Unfortunately, not sure if cropping will help because then you'd kill an integral part of the reflections. This is where cloning would really save the day! Apart from that, it's a bit underexposed, and there's too much detail lost in shadows. I don't use iPhoto, but see if there's a way to enhance the shadows and if possible, raise exposure from the top of the treeline, towards the beginning of the water's reflection.

If you have the ability to shoot RAW files, cleaning and adjusting would be no problem. I'd also have used a wider angle lens for such a shot. Two tips, if you don't mind: Wide angle (or totally un-zoomed if it's a PnS camera with a zoom lens) lenses for a landscape shot are the best way to go because you can always crop a bit for composition later. *though never go crazy with cropping because it can ruin your chances of printing at a good resolution* and two: If you're using manual exposure mode, always over expose a bit, rather than under expose. It's easier to bring levels down in post processing than it is to bring them up.

Oh, and if you're shooting with an DSLR, having an ND/Graduated filter works wonders for such shots. Saves you the trouble of having to use a tool like Lightroom's graduated filter.

Doug

Spang
05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Loompy/ed68e37e.jpg

johndope83
05-08-2011, 02:14 AM
John: great collage, though I'd probably put a pic of me and my girl as the big center photo.

I just got my first DSLR and have been snapping away. I just need to learn to process the RAW files and then maybe I can post my own. Anybody know the best program for a noob like me to process RAW photos? I have an old copy of CS3. I was thinking it might be best to start with the best, but on the other hand it might be too overwhelming for me as a beginner.

Thanks!!! But the way nemo was looking at me was way better!

By the way i forgot to add all of those photos are taken in El Nido, Philippines... worth the trip i tell you!

Personally, I use CS5's camera raw but if you don't have one iphoto can handle RAW files as well.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5693606400_02959eefa8_b.jpg

Just started experimenting with iPhoto....feedback would be appreciated

nice reflection! all of your PP done with iphoto?

Cool collage John... What did you shoot the coral with? Did you use underwater housing or a dedicated camera?

Doug

thanks!!! i used an olympus underwater point and shoot cam for it. but if you're looking for an underwater cam i'll suggest to take a look with what canon has to offer... colors are much better than my olympus...

cheers!!!

Chris....
05-09-2011, 10:56 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/chrisa62401/IMG_0068.jpg

MYmacROX
05-10-2011, 12:37 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/chrisa62401/IMG_0068.jpg

That is really cool.
Don't take this as being critical, but it'd be better if the entire body was in focus. :)

Hooterjb
05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks!!! But the way nemo was looking at me was way better!

By the way i forgot to add all of those photos are taken in El Nido, Philippines... worth the trip i tell you!

Personally, I use CS5's camera raw but if you don't have one iphoto can handle RAW files as well.

nice reflection! all of your PP done with iphoto?

thanks!!! i used an olympus underwater point and shoot cam for it. but if you're looking for an underwater cam i'll suggest to take a look with what canon has to offer... colors are much better than my olympus...

cheers!!!

Thanks, yes all of my PP was done in iPhoto. This photo was also taken by an Olympus stylus 8000. Very rugged camera that takes very good pics for a point and shoot.

Doug b
05-12-2011, 11:08 PM
No vanity for me this month. Took this today with my Evo 4G using an app called "Vignette". I didn't have to use a vignette effect of course, but just so happened that I did, also applied a B&W "Toy Camera" to go with it, which adds a bit too much vignetting for certain photos, such as this one. I don't care, I like it nonetheless. Didn't bother editing it at all. Also scaled the quality back to 3megapixels. 8MP IMO is just too much when using a camera phone.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_Omq_p8ngzGg/TcxqZGATopI/AAAAAAAAA8U/91WqyGM7W9E/s512/2011-05-12-17-26-53-602.jpg

The only thing I regret is the over the top vignetting. She's actually a pretty girl, but you'd never know it looking at that pic! Looks like her teeth are all black.. haha. Too bad I don't know her.. should have asked to take another one.

Doug

McYukon
05-12-2011, 11:40 PM
A Morning Cloak butterfly in a wild Crocus.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/5714991980_3b72f37612_z.jpg

MacGandalf
05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Part of an on-going project "My Photo Perch" series of back-garden birds here in the UK.

Goldfinch:
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq287/Gandalf_22h/Miscellaneous/_HAL2432.jpg

cheers;D

Printerman
05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/chrisa62401/IMG_0068.jpgfffffff...

I'll feel it crawling all over me while I try to sleep tonight -_-

RavingMac
05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
My wife asked me to take some pictures of her Mother's Day flowers. Nothing special, but I liked this one.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff390/Razormac/Rose.jpg

EDIT: For some reason this doesn't look sharp to me. I just opened the jpeg in preview again to check and it looks fine, so I don't understand what's going on.

Brunhild
05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
picture of the daughter :D

not one of my best I just really like it. dumped it to black and white, just got my dslr so Ive been messin with it a lot lately...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/5720200116_8765fd156f_b.jpg

Doug b
05-14-2011, 08:02 PM
EDIT: For some reason this doesn't look sharp to me. I just opened the jpeg in preview again to check and it looks fine, so I don't understand what's going on.

Three things are going on here.

1. Lighting is everything. I can tell that you used flash, but it's still a tad underexposed. Was this a popup flash that you used or off camera and bounced? The lighting can account for how easy it is for the AF sensor to find its target.

2. Whether or not it is sharp, doesn't account for the focus being a bit off. Looks like it's front focusing just a hair, thus making the focus soft.

3. Sharpening in general is a tricky thing. How did you sharpen the image (with what and with what kind of pass/filter etc?) to begin with, and where is that image being hosted? You have to remember that most websites or hosts use their own compression schemes, so what might have started out as a sharp image directly from Preview or a photo editor, is easily ruined by such things. iWeb is a good example of such a thing. Apple's compression scheme with that host is fairly heavy handed and I'd never use it as such.

I like ImageShack for hosting single random images. They don't really use much in the way of compression. Same with atpic.com. Photobucket is alright too, but not as good as the other two. Then you have to deal with the website on which you're posting the picture. That too, will usually have software which compresses images in order to save bandwidth. Not sure about this forum, so maybe one of the mods/admins will be able to answer that one.

Basically then, when you're saving your jpg from whatever program you're using, it's usually good to use a bit of extra sharpening. This is especially true for RAW images. For those, you want to apply sharpening while editing, as well as output sharpening. Two totally separate things.

If you knew all this already, sorry for the rant!

Doug

RavingMac
05-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Three things are going on here.

1. Lighting is everything. I can tell that you used flash, but it's still a tad underexposed. Was this a popup flash that you used or off camera and bounced? The lighting can account for how easy it is for the AF sensor to find its target.

2. Whether or not it is sharp, doesn't account for the focus being a bit off. Looks like it's front focusing just a hair, thus making the focus soft.

3. Sharpening in general is a tricky thing. How did you sharpen the image (with what and with what kind of pass/filter etc?) to begin with, and where is that image being hosted? You have to remember that most websites or hosts use their own compression schemes, so what might have started out as a sharp image directly from Preview or a photo editor, is easily ruined by such things. iWeb is a good example of such a thing. Apple's compression scheme with that host is fairly heavy handed and I'd never use it as such.

I like ImageShack for hosting single random images. They don't really use much in the way of compression. Same with atpic.com. Photobucket is alright too, but not as good as the other two. Then you have to deal with the website on which you're posting the picture. That too, will usually have software which compresses images in order to save bandwidth. Not sure about this forum, so maybe one of the mods/admins will be able to answer that one.

Basically then, when you're saving your jpg from whatever program you're using, it's usually good to use a bit of extra sharpening. This is especially true for RAW images. For those, you want to apply sharpening while editing, as well as output sharpening. Two totally separate things.

If you knew all this already, sorry for the rant!

Doug

Doug,
Thanks for the tips.
Yes, I used the popup flash. Still haven't added a flash, but on my upgrade list.
I shot it RAW but sharpened and adjusted the exposure +0.5 in Aperture.
Agree the focus isn't dead on but as soon as I posted I saw the uploaded image was a lot softer than the original. I'll look at the other sites you mentioned.

Doug b
05-15-2011, 01:59 AM
If you want to send me the RAW image, I'd be happy to see if there's something I can do with it.. Up to you. :)

Doug

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 01:53 PM
If you want to send me the RAW image, I'd be happy to see if there's something I can do with it.. Up to you. :)

Doug

Thanks, that would be appreciated. :)

On my iPad right now so don't have access, will try to send later today. Something else I thought to try is I haven't been using the loader to upload images, just been pasting the image link info from Photobucket into the post. I wad going to try using the upload icon to see if that makes a difference.

Jbob
05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
It's only the second of May but I've already found mine.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5675947119_4bfa9b83a3_z.jpg

Cool :)

Doug b
05-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks, that would be appreciated. :)

On my iPad right now so don't have access, will try to send later today. Something else I thought to try is I haven't been using the loader to upload images, just been pasting the image link info from Photobucket into the post. I wad going to try using the upload icon to see if that makes a difference.

Just remember that there's a size limit (I believe) when uploading that way. Besides, hot linking shouldn't make a difference so long as the compression rates aren't an issue.

Doug

paid4c4
05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
This is a picture of my wife fighting with our poodle fighting over who's going to drive the Corvette.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/paid4c4/LindawithKrissydrivingCorvette.jpg
Bill

MYmacROX
05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
This is a picture of my wife fighting with our poodle fighting over who's going to drive the Corvette.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/paid4c4/LindawithKrissydrivingCorvette.jpg
Bill

That's fighting? Wish my wife would "fight" with me over who drives our car. ;D

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Just remember that there's a size limit (I believe) when uploading that way. Besides, hot linking shouldn't make a difference so long as the compression rates aren't an issue.

Doug
Just tried it (actually just previewed the post without posting) and opened the original in Preview and did a side-by-side comparison and the original was far sharper. It makes me wonder if I may have messed up somehow in the upload to Photobucket. Will look at that and see what I can find out. The problem almost can't be on this end because I see a lot of sharp images posted in this thread.

EDIT: Duhhh! I just looked at the full size image on Photobucket and it is identical to what is posting here. So the problem is in the upload from my MBP to Photobucket.

Doug b
05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
How are you processing your RAW files?

Doug

RavingMac
05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Here is the rose uploaded from ImageShack

[IMAGE DELETED IN THE INTEREST OF SANE FILE SIZES]

As far as processing the RAW file, I am using Aperture then exporting as a jpeg to upload to photo site.

EDIT: This obviously worked, but I apparently need to figure out a more appropriate filesize to upload! :)

BrianLachoreVPI
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I can just make that out on my 65" screen - ;D

Doug b
05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
LMAO! Friendly tip, and what I do when resizing for the web: Take your total resolution and divide each one by 3 or 4, even... I never post original sizes for several reasons.. 1 theft.. 2 because of what you just did...lol

When I post to my Smugmug site, I usually divide by 3 and that still leaves huge sizes to view on mostly any monitor. Plus, you want to make sure that you're not letting it output to 300 ppi because then someone will be able to download and print it at a fairly large size. 75ppi is standard since that's what consumer monitors output as well.

Doug

P.S. when dividing, don't forget that portrait and landscape sizes will be different. But once you've figured out a good size for websites and such, those 4 values will be second nature to you. And for heaven's sake.. delete that monster! :)

RavingMac
05-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the help, Doug.
It does look a lot better now. . . Wondering if a Mod took pity on me and reduced the file size. I'm on my iPad and it isn't blowing out my screen but that may be a function of safari on the iPad.

EDIT: Back on my MBP and the file size is still huge so I have deleted the image from the post above

Doug b
05-17-2011, 09:15 PM
With Mike's permission... rose revised:

http://dbphotographics.smugmug.com/Other/Test-gallery/i-ts5z4KF/0/M/Mikes-Moms-Rose-M.jpg

I did change the hue, so it's no longer the deep shade of red that it was obviously. A few other things going on such as increased exposure, some basic color alterations, a lot of desaturation but increased vibrance in order to retain color... I can give you an exact list of what I did, but if you don't use LR then it won't be of any real help to you I think. The most important aspect was increasing the exposure and adding fill light as well as using curves to fine tune the shadows, highlights and dark tones.

The border is just a vignette on the plus side rather than the usual - side. Of course there are a few little tweaks here and there outside of what I listed, but that's what usually goes into such a thing.. little tweak here, little bit there to season. Kind of like cooking.

I actually wanted to do a nice black and white conversion, but didn't have time. Might try that tonight. Oh... and of course, the sharpening that I forgot to mention. LR has a far superior sharpening algorithm to that of Aperture, which goes hand in hand with its noise reduction algorithm. You sharpen first, with a masking filter, and this tends to reduce luminance noise. This way, you don't have to mess with the luminance noise reduction as much.

The focus isn't as big an issue as I originally thought, but it's apparent that the lens is front focusing a little bit. Whether that's due to poor lighting or something else is beyond me right now.

Doug

RavingMac
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Doug,
That does a lot more justice to the original than my post. And, I think your creative adjustments really make it pop.

Doug b
05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks man, but it was your creation. Anybody can mess with post processing settings and do what I did. Ain't rocket science! But that right there is the benefit of shooting RAW. I likely wouldn't have been able to get it like that were it a jpg file.

I received a PM about the settings I used in LR so I figure that I would post another thread and go over them and why I did what I did, in case it benefits more than just one person. I'll link to it when I'm done.

Doug

BrianLachoreVPI
05-17-2011, 11:55 PM
That is really nice - post the original so we can see it. I was only able to actually see about a single petal the last time ;)

Doug b
05-18-2011, 02:01 AM
That is really nice - post the original so we can see it. I was only able to actually see about a single petal the last time ;)

I think I can accommodate that one too:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/5732757514_ca2e550832_z.jpg

Oops.. sorry about the watermark Mike.. Hope you don't mind. I'm feeling so lazy right now. I'll take it down if you'd like. But the original/original was heavily compressed for some reason and lacked any kind of sharpness whatsoever. That's what prompted this all.

Doug

RavingMac
05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
I think I can accommodate that one too:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/5732757514_ca2e550832_z.jpg

Oops.. sorry about the watermark Mike.. Hope you don't mind. I'm feeling so lazy right now. I'll take it down if you'd like. But the original/original was heavily compressed for some reason and lacked any kind of sharpness whatsoever. That's what prompted this all.

Doug

I have no problem with the watermark at all, other than if some deranged individual offers you large sums of money for the image that you share it with me. ;)

eduardolp
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Canon T1i 1/5 sec f/5.6 ISO 800

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2051/5727627305_812f14ef79_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudu_lp/5727627305/)
Beira.Mar.14.Mai.2011 (2 of 32).jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudu_lp/5727627305/) por dudu.lp (http://www.flickr.com/people/dudu_lp/), no Flickr

JohnCL
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
http://jlkc.dyndns.org/webpix/DSC_2583.JPG

fearlessfreap24
05-20-2011, 07:14 AM
eduardolp - i thought that was panama city, panama until i noticed the Brazil flag on that building. looks like a beautiful place!

Seastud
05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
This is from our family outing today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/islandtrooper/Scenic%20photos/IMG_2526bwcrop-1.jpg

BrianLachoreVPI
05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/BrianLachoreVPI/BeantownPub.jpg

Doug b
05-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I have no problem with the watermark at all, other than if some deranged individual offers you large sums of money for the image that you share it with me. ;)

Not a penny would I take... And hey, ya never know. The strangest shots have made their way from random Flickr accounts to the big Hollywood screens and movie poster ads. There's money in them thar' hills son!

Doug

chas_m
05-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Here's a picture from a park near my home on a lovely spring day (sorry about the kinda blown-out reds -- my camera just can't deal with how incredibly red those tulips are):

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7163/img0121wh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/img0121wh.jpg/)

MichaelTheGeek
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
They all look great!

CrimsonRequiem
05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Decided to go oldschool so Polaroid and film. :P

https://img.skitch.com/20110529-rny8arjquqy3kwd1tn21yjjnsp.jpg

AlanSr
06-01-2011, 02:36 AM
My first time to the race track:)