Grounding myself/ESD

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
So having recieved all my parts, I am about to start the build.

However i have heard conflicting advice about grounding.

Some people are saying

- Just attach your wristband to your case, and you will be fine

or

- Attach it to the PSU while plugged in.

How do I stay grounded most effectively? the case I have has rubber feet, will that be of an adverse effect?

i am performing the upgrade in a carpeted room, but on top of a wooden desk.

hope to hear some of your advice soon :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Wearing an ESD strap is a good idea but just attaching it to the case won't guarantee a discharge unless the case is grounded. Technically - you want the strap connected to a ground point with a clear path to earth ground. Practically - you just want to ensure that you and the objects you're handling are at the same potential. In reality - most of what you're handling as part of building a PC probably isn't the worst case ESD sensitivity you can encounter - so discharging yourself before you handle them is probably just fine.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers brian, so how would i ground the case then?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cheers brian, so how would i ground the case then?

If the case has a preinstalled power supply, simply plug it into the mains. It doesn't have to be switched on or even connected. It should be grounded directly to your home's own ground (assuming your house is properly grounded, of course!).

To be quite honest, however, in the spring/summer time when ambient humidity is relatively high, this is mostly a non-issue. But if you want to be extra, super cautious, that's the way to do it.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the case has a preinstalled power supply, simply plug it into the mains. It doesn't have to be switched on or even connected. It should be grounded directly to your home's own ground (assuming your house is properly grounded, of course!).

To be quite honest, however, in the spring/summer time when ambient humidity is relatively high, this is mostly a non-issue. But if you want to be extra, super cautious, that's the way to do it.

haha, well i think ill just connect it to my case then. I would have to install the PSU, and i would rather do that after the motherboard is installed.

hopefully everything works out. (want to get started but Amazon are taking ages to deliver my RAM, due to the RW) :Angry:

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I have nothing of value to add - CWA gave the same answer I would have - which was simply plug your power supply into the wall - assuming it's already connected to your chassis. Just take some common sense precautions and you'll be fine. Don't shuffle your feet over the carpet - or have one hand on a van de graaff just before rubbing your hands all over the processor. :) Besides, as much as it rains over there I'm pretty sure noone has ever suffered a static shock. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The carpet may be your biggest enemy right now. If possible, I'd recommend not doing in on carpet, or putting something like a sheet of wood over the carpet where you will be working.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
haha, well i think ill just connect it to my case then. I would have to install the PSU, and i would rather do that after the motherboard is installed.

Is the case that tight? Usually I put the PSU in first - mostly because I'm extremely neurotic about cable routing, and the PSU cables tend to be all over the place. So, I tuck them in and wire tie them even before the motherboard goes in. I usually use a mid-tower, so there's usually plenty of room to work regardless of whether the PSU is there or not.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Is the case that tight? Usually I put the PSU in first - mostly because I'm extremely neurotic about cable routing, and the PSU cables tend to be all over the place. So, I tuck them in and wire tie them even before the motherboard goes in. I usually use a mid-tower, so there's usually plenty of room to work regardless of whether the PSU is there or not.

well it is a mid tower case, its just that the PSU is in the top, not the bottom. i thought that might be a bit more of a pain, getting in the way of installing the motherboard. However it is non modular, you might be right, could be a PITA to manage the cables afterwards.

So the general consensus is to not do it in a carpeted room? I could probably move the build downstairs to the conservatory, which is a plastic tiled room. sound good? The only issue with the conservatory is that there is no power connections in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Rob just dont drag your feet and do the High Knee Lift Walk and you should be fine. Either that ground the wrist band by putting a piece of Elec Wire from it straight down to the ground. 2m long with the end void of the plastic and you cant go wrong. . . . . Just do the high knee walk and you will be cheering :)

Cheers

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rob just dont drag your feet and do the High Knee Lift Walk and you should be fine. Either that ground the wrist band by putting a piece of Elec Wire from it straight down to the ground. 2m long with the end void of the plastic and you cant go wrong. . . . . Just do the high knee walk and you will be cheering :)

Cheers

haha sounds a little bit like the hokey cokey ;) thanks for the advice mate. gonna start the build tonight, i will post back tommorrow with the results :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You is showing your youth Rob - that is the hokey pokey my lad! Unless you got some of that ground up white powdery stuff?

Have always out of practicality connected wrist strap to the frame of the computer, and the advice on carpets is good - particularly if you have nylon carpet. My office has dressed and lacquered timber flooring for this, and ease of sliding around in office chair!

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ended up doing it in the conservatory, after all the carpet advice. also did it in just my pants, cause it was too hot, and i was so paranoid about static.

all the components are installed now, just doing some cable management then I will let you see the beast ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking forward to seeing some benchmarks along with those pics :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.