Can I do my MP3 properties without using iTunes?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there any way I can update the background properties of an mp3 (year, genre etc) WITHOUT having to have it go through iTunes each time, just using the mp3 itself?

Thanks,
Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You will need some application that will edit the metadata. I dont know any off-hand for OSX. Unless you know how to write in hex. iTunes works well for that, actually, why not use it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I definately don't have the knowledge to do it all myself. There's just some music I like to put the properties in that I don't want to keep in my library, but elsewhere...so I'm always then taking them and their copy out of the iTunes library to file elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can always add it to iTunes, edit the data, then delete it (but don't move files to Trash.)

Search for MP3 File Info Editor for MAC. Maybe you will find something, or someone on here will know.

Does WinAmp have a MAC version? I am too new to the OSX world to know off-hand.

C

chas_m

Oh my gosh, there are dozens (literally) of MP3 editors for Mac that don't require iTunes. To name a few off the top of my head, there's Musicbrainz Picard, Max, Tagr, Simple Tagger ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.