Why is my internet so Slow.

Reaction score
My internet is so shaky, it's really frustrating to use. Sometimes it will work fine, pages load instantly, but there are other times when a page will take a minute or two. THere's no way I can watch youtube video, or watch live streaming since it will freeze every two seconds. This computer is less then a year old, so I shouldn't be having this problem.

Here are some details
Speed test shows an obvious problem. My download speed is so much slower then my upload speed. I don't know much, but I do know that shouldn't happen.

Screen shot 2011-04-27 at 10.40.42 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Could be line trouble a bad modem or another problem have you contacted your provider
and have you looked at all your connections and cables?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Are these results from a wired test or a wireless test? What do your wired results look like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Those are some odd figures, upload being faster than down is the wrong way around. Very strange.
I would say the modem is faulty too, but definitely call Comcast.

OP
M
Reaction score
This is using a wireless Connection. I would try wired, but Comcast thought it made the most sense to put the router in the back corner of the basement, so I can't really move it down there. Putting the router in the basement is the thing that I don't understand. Shouldn't it be as close to the computer as possible.

I don't think it's the modem because I have other computers in the house that work fine most of the time. Those computers are all PC's and a few years old.

I guess I'll call Comcast, but I don't know how that will fix my problem since other computers work fine.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Before you call Comcast - the reason I asked is you should try plugging into the router and rerun those speed tests to see what you're getting from your ISP. There's a good chance - you're just not getting a very solid signal - or you're at the periphery where performance tends to be erratic.

I saw asymmetric speeds - not as extreme as yours - but still had my upload beating my download consistently at times - which is one of the reasons I added a second wireless 'n' router.

So - run those tests again from the same room as the router - both wired (to establish your performance baseline expectation) and then wireless to see what improvements you see with the stronger signal - and post back. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
It worked, but I can't keep my computer down here. Can I use another router that I setup closer to my computer to get this working, or is that not possible.

This is the wired connection, wireless was 2-3 mb/s slower

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried responding earlier, but my posts did not go through. When I moved my iMac to the basement I got speeds up to 30 m/bs, mostly around 25 mb/s though. my wireless connection was a little less, but still in the mid 20s most of the time.

After that
I contacted Comcast, and there wasn't much they offered to help.

I had a 10ft Ethernet cable lying around, so I used that which gave me an extra four ft to play with and then I reworked how Comcast wired the modem/router and got an extra 5ft or so.

Now my download speeds are better when I use my normal spot with a wireless connection, but it's at best 10 mb/s.

This is my latest speedtest after r=moving the router 9-10ft closer

Just ran another one to check

I can get an extra 5 ft or so if I unplug the modem, but the cord says Do Not UnPlug, Phone Line.

If I unplug this and plug it back in a few seconds later will it mess up anything. If I can move it I think I can get my speeds up 20/ mb/s until I order A 50 ft ethernet cable from amazon/

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good. At least now you know what the issue is - you just need a better location for your current router - or add a second one for better coverage throughout your house.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well-I guess 'best' is debatable - but basically - you'll want to get wired connection via Ethernet from your current router (it will have additional ports) to the 2nd router. You can either do this by running CAT-5 through the house - or others have had success using some of the newer Powerline equipment - which runs Ethernet over the electrical wiring in your house. After that - there are some setup things to contend with - but I can probably find a thread that answers most of that for you - should you decide to go that route.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well-I guess 'best' is debatable - but basically - you'll want to get wired connection via Ethernet from your current router (it will have additional ports) to the 2nd router. You can either do this by running CAT-5 through the house - or others have had success using some of the newer Powerline equipment - which runs Ethernet over the electrical wiring in your house. After that - there are some setup things to contend with - but I can probably find a thread that answers most of that for you - should you decide to go that route.

Ok that sounds good. I talked to two Comcast reps and the one was actually pretty good, he did mention that a powerline adapter may be my best option, so I may go that route, depending on the total cost to set it all up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Glad it's sorted, had we known that it was in the basement originally I think we would have all jumped and said that it's an issue.
Sending wi-fi through walls reduces the signal, because of materials used (brick, steeel etc), and having it buried down there is the worst possible place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Depending on the size of your house and where the computers are located nothing beats
hard wiring but if you can not another option which I like is a centrally located Airport Extreme with 2 or more Airport Express for total control and coverage.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe I missed it but, just out of curiosity, did the Comcast folks give any reason why the router should be in the basement? A basement or little used closet is OK for wired signals but generally murder on wireless as you have discovered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.