Strange Connection Issue

Reaction score
I have a 20" imac which connects to all macs and other servers via the ethernet network, but it does not connect to a specific server. But if you switch on the airport it will connect to this server.

It will connect to the internet and I can access my emails. Its only that one server, everyone else in the office can access it and I have even tried using their ethernet cables and it still refuses to connect.

Can anyone suggest any solutions, we have already reinstalled the system software and this has not made a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a 20" imac which connects to all macs and other servers via the ethernet network, but it does not connect to a specific server. But if you switch on the airport it will connect to this server.

It will connect to the internet and I can access my emails. Its only that one server, everyone else in the office can access it and I have even tried using their ethernet cables and it still refuses to connect.

Can anyone suggest any solutions, we have already reinstalled the system software and this has not made a difference.

It's quite obvious that the problem is with that server. Perhaps it has a firewall that is blocking the MAC address of the ethernet card in your iMac. Or, if you have static IP addresses, it's blocking the IP address assigned to your iMac's ethernet card. The wireless wouldn't be affected because it has a different MAC address and would have a different IP address.

OP
D
Reaction score
Excellent

It's quite obvious that the problem is with that server. Perhaps it has a firewall that is blocking the MAC address of the ethernet card in your iMac. Or, if you have static IP addresses, it's blocking the IP address assigned to your iMac's ethernet card. The wireless wouldn't be affected because it has a different MAC address and would have a different IP address.

Good call, we used the IP address of the airport and it worked fine. Thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.