Canon EOS 20D Not Found on Mac

Reaction score
I just changed back to using my awesome Canon EOS 20D SLR and my Mac won't recognize it! It doesn't show up on Picasa, nor in Finder. I looked for drivers from the Canon website and there were none.

Running Mac OS 10.5.8

OP
Arielluria
Reaction score
Never mind, I found my disk :p
I'm so used to the Mac's ease on everything I didn't even think about an install disk. LOL.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Try this page from Canon website...

EOS 20D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
I just changed back to using my awesome Canon EOS 20D SLR and my Mac won't recognize it! It doesn't show up on Picasa, nor in Finder. I looked for drivers from the Canon website and there were none.

Running Mac OS 10.5.8

By your post I take it that you are wanting to tether your 20D to your Mac. Suggest you use a card reader to transfer your files to your computer to whatever photo editing software you use. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
No need to plug the camera into anything

Just read the card. I have many, many Canons including 20D, 5DII, and 1DIII. I just read the card directly and select and move those files I wish from the card to wherever I want them stored (as well as my backup drives).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've had problems connecting dSLRs to my Macbook. This is why I just got a USB card reader for $10 and saved myself the trouble of trying to get it to work.

Reaction score
Image Capture

plug your 20d via usb then open image capture.

This will allow you to import all your images to a mac.

Let me know if it works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
plug your 20d via usb then open image capture.

This will allow you to import all your images to a mac.

Let me know if it works

My experience with MBP's and usb connection to Canon cameras..lots of them...has been dismal. So bad I would not use a MBP as a tethered capture solution on a shoot.

I don't really understand the problem and no one else has been able to tell my my or find a fix.

I've never had similar problems with any windows box or laptop for many years, to the point I just purchased a new sandybridge Toshiba to use on location. Half the cost of a MBP, just as fast and it works every time.

Come on Apple get your stuff together....

C

chas_m

I have a much more lowly Canon (not DSLR) that plugs right into my MacBook with no issues. The trick was to NOT install the Canon software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I have a much more lowly Canon (not DSLR) that plugs right into my MacBook with no issues. The trick was to NOT install the Canon software.

That's wonderful but if you want to tether your camera for shooting you MUST install some software be it Canon, Phase One, Breeze, or Helicon Focus.

Nothing works in a reliable manner on a MBP, of different sizes and vintages with my setup or cameras. It has and continues to work flawlessly on windows desktops and laptops of different sizes, vintages and OS versions.

This a a Mac problem.

I truly wish it was not.

C

chas_m

I apologise that I didn't comprehend that this was a tethering question.

My only suggestion would be that your OS is pretty old now, if you can upgrade that might solve the issue -- and would cost you a measly $30 to find out. I would of course check Apple's support technotes for a specific mention of your camera, or some photography sites to see if there is someone else out there who has solved the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologise that I didn't comprehend that this was a tethering question.

My only suggestion would be that your OS is pretty old now, if you can upgrade that might solve the issue -- and would cost you a measly $30 to find out. I would of course check Apple's support technotes for a specific mention of your camera, or some photography sites to see if there is someone else out there who has solved the issue.

No problem, I'm on 10.67 2011MBP 15". Been the tech support and forum routes to no avail.

My solution is just not to use a Mac for this application, which stinks since I bought two MBP's. We, (my wife and I) will continue to use then as day to day machines but my photo work both location shooting and workstation processing will stay PC machines with Windows 7.

As for Lion, that will be a wait and see. I had MBP to NEC external monitor issues with the last non os updates (and had to reload so I'll sit for awhile to see on lion works out before I upgrade

Reaction score
I've used the Canon software to shoot tethered on a MBP with a 20D 5D and a 1Dslll. Just make sure the communications option is set to PC not PTP print, which is probably by default.

You might want to get the latest version of the Canon software. You can download it from the Canon site, but you'll need to have the original installed first.

The Canon software is not bad for tethered shooting, however I use Lightroom now which is a better. But the Canon software is on the MPB, just in case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used the Canon software to shoot tethered on a MBP with a 20D 5D and a 1Dslll. Just make sure the communications option is set to PC not PTP print, which is probably by default.

You might want to get the latest version of the Canon software. You can download it from the Canon site, but you'll need to have the original installed first.

The Canon software is not bad for tethered shooting, however I use Lightroom now which is a better. But the Canon software is on the MPB, just in case

The 1DsMKIII and the 5dII don't have a communications setting.

I find Lightroom to be a rather poor tethering solution. The only camera control is shutter release. Since I do still life, and bracket for layering complete control is a must. As such I don't have a lot of use for Lightroom. In fact about all I ever use it for is to create web galleries.

I should explain. if I use a usb cable shorter than 15' and with no extensions I can get a MBP to work. Sadly I can't work with a cable that short and active extensions...that have worked on every windows machine I have used for the last few years...fails on the MBP. This is on both 201 and 2011 vintage MBP's.

If anyone has a solution I would love to find it.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
So its actually a hardware problem since it works fine with a cable less than 15 feet long? This means that the macs use of USB 2.0 is not quite sensitive enough to deal with the signal loss in a cable longer than 15 feet. You need a USB cable amplifier. YHou could order one of these: USB Superbooster Extender - Cables To Go

If it doesn't work, send it back. You could stock a few.

Reaction score
Craig

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my reply was meant for the OP not you.

On your problem I did read somewhere that the USB power on MPB was at the lower end of the spec. Can't confirm this myself, but will try over the w/e to use a 15M powered USB extension with another non powered one and see if I get the same problem. Might not solve the problem , but may confirm it's a problem with the MPB USB port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Craig

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my reply was meant for the OP not you.

On your problem I did read somewhere that the USB power on MPB was at the lower end of the spec. Can't confirm this myself, but will try over the w/e to use a 15M powered USB extension with another non powered one and see if I get the same problem. Might not solve the problem , but may confirm it's a problem with the MPB USB port

No problem....I would be interested to see what happens.

With the 2010 MPB I could get a connection with an active USB but it would fail when trying to send a raw file.

With the 2011 I can get a connection with an active USB but it quits unexpectedly, and seemingly for no reason. It requires a system restart to clear.

I spent some time with tech support with Sewell and one of their 15 and 30 feet active cables.

They tested them both for me using a 2011 MBP and Canon video camera prior to my order. They were quite helpful. They had no problems on their end.

My end however was a different story.

I'm not losing any sleep over this. I have four Windows laptops to choose from for location work, including a new sandybridge i7 quad that tests as fast as my MBP's.

Its just too bad the MBP's have a problem in this area. They are nice machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7Ghz Quad Core i5, 1Tb HD, 4GB 1333 MHz DDDR3 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics, OSX, 21.5"
I just went through this myself with my old Canon EOS Digital Rebel (first generation) and my new iMac. I couldn't find my disk that came with the camera, and there was nothing to download on Canon's website. I did have a card reader, but the old Rebel takes a big Compact Flash card and the pins wouldn't align right in the reader.

I had photos on the camera from my son's graduation that I needed to pull off. So I got to digging. My Mac did NOT want to recognize the camera. But some poking around and I found that by changing the communication setting on the camera allowed them to play together. Change the communication from PTP to Normal and it mounts and reads just like any other device from iPhoto, Preview or Image Capture. And it didn't cost a thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.