Which Airport extreme card?

Reaction score
Hi all
I've just got a secondhard G5 powermac (later edition) it came without an airport card.
I bought an airport card and found that though it fitted the slot the antenna leads didn't. The airport I bought had one connection point but the G5 has two connection leads. Obviously there's a different type of airport card out there.
I've looked on the net but I can only find powermac mini cards (these have two connection points but are a lot smaller).
Can anyone tell me the name of the card I need so I can do a proper search.

To help you pinpoint my exact mac here are the details off it.

PMG5 2.3GHZ DC/512mb/250GB
16x DL SD/GF6600.

Hope someone can help

Redsetter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi all
I've just got a secondhard G5 powermac (later edition) it came without an airport card.
I bought an airport card and found that though it fitted the slot the antenna leads didn't. The airport I bought had one connection point but the G5 has two connection leads. Obviously there's a different type of airport card out there.
I've looked on the net but I can only find powermac mini cards (these have two connection points but are a lot smaller).
Can anyone tell me the name of the card I need so I can do a proper search.

To help you pinpoint my exact mac here are the details off it.

PMG5 2.3GHZ DC/512mb/250GB
16x DL SD/GF6600.

Hope someone can help

Redsetter

I had a bit of trouble digging up the right info. At first I thought you had the older Airport card, rather than the Airport Express card. Thankfully you were more specific than most with your details and when I double-checked the product info I initially had, your model wasn't compatible. The models prior to yours had a dedicated wi-fi card. The late 2005 model Power Macs have a combo Airport Extreme/Bluetooth card.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card 802.11G 661-3692 A1126 - $55.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to both replies. I now know that I need two parts.

I wasn't really interested in the bluetooth just the wireless part.

What is strange is that the ordinary extreme card registers but without the aerial connection does nothing – no signal – no connection!

Has anyone tried connecting an aerial to the ordinary extreme card and got that working in the later model G5?

I might give that a try before I put my card back on ebay and invest in another way of connecting to my router.

Perhaps airport base hub or a usb wireless dongle stick.

Thanks again for the advice – most helpful.

Redsetter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think it would work Redsetter as Apple designed the card to connect to both, but give it a try and good luck. One thing with those USB dongles ~ never got one to work with a Mac yet and avoid Railink as they have no drivers and other brands often only cater up to Tiger OS X.4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.