PDA

View Full Version : Napster or itunes?

evolve
09-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok I need more clarity. First off I want to apologize for any ignorance on my part, as I still have about a month before I make the switch.

So like I said, I plan on buying my imac G5 within the next month, so of course I'm researching as much as I can about what programs are best to use with a mac, and what programs are easily compatible with the mac. Right now, as a life long PC user, I use Musicmatch for all my MP3's. I don't have any type of portable mp3 player, but soon after I get my mac, I will probably get an ipod mini.

So back to my question. When I get my mac, what is better to use for my mp3's (playing, recording, downloading, etc...) Napster does offer a nice price, $14.95/month for unlimited downloads, while according to what I have read, itunes charge .99 per song. Napster does sound cheaper, but is there anything that I'm missing that itunes can offer. The way I figure it, is if at .99 per song and I want an entire album, (20-22 songs) that would cost me $20-$22. I did notice that you could purchase a complete album like if you were to buy it at the store, but what about if I want a custom album. You know like random artist on one CD?

I would appreciat all your feedback in helping me decide. Thanks.

trpnmonkey41
09-05-2005, 04:12 PM
1. Napster isn't available for macs.
2. In napster as soon as you stop paying you lose all of the songs you have downloaded
3. iTMS is usually 10 dollars per CD

aeiou
09-05-2005, 04:22 PM
napster will alsop not work with an iPod mini, as it uses windows media drm, I believe.

coach_z
09-05-2005, 04:35 PM
good question though!

the thing i dont like about napster is that you are renting all of your songs, the second you end your subscription your "1,000,000" songs go straight out the window and you dont have any music...

-chris

trpnmonkey41
09-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Yep so you are basically paying 180/yr for life for your music

If you used the service for 5 years and decided to stop you will have wasted around 900 dollars

sursuciofla
09-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Yep so you are basically paying 180/yr for life for your music

If you used the service for 5 years and decided to stop you will have wasted around 900 dollars

Yeah, definately not worth the headache. GO iTUNES, RAH, RAH, RAH!!!!!!!

evolve
09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow, that's good to know. If I want a new CD and it will cost the same if I were to go to the store and pick it up, then great. If it will cost me about the same to make a custom CD, you know with different songs and artists all on one CD, as it would for any other CD, then excelent. Thanks for the input guys. That SUCKS, that Napster only lets you "rent" the songs you pay for... didn't know that. What a rip off! Makes me mad even thinking it...those sneeky B@st@rds :ninja:

inflexion
09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
TBH the napster thing is a good idea once the DRM hsa been removed (im not condoning it in anyway!) as for people like me it would save me a fortune.

As for albums id rather go and get it from the shop and have it on the original cd with the booklet etc for the same price

MightyMac
09-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I find myself using itunes because I can't find anything better. Maybe there isn't at present. My main gripe is the music selection. Is there another service that I can use? ...one that's comparable in price to itunes, but offers a wider selection? Or should i just shut up and stick with itunes? Please advise. thx

TTheInfamous1
09-05-2005, 09:49 PM
good question though!

the thing i dont like about napster is that you are renting all of your songs, the second you end your subscription your "1,000,000" songs go straight out the window and you dont have any music...

-chris

Exactly.. Napster, IMO is not worth it. And believe it or not, you'll end up paying more for Napster then iTunes in monthly fees and renewal fees.

D3v1L80Y
09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/02/napstersuperbowl/index.php

This article pretty much explains which service is better...;)

witeshark
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I far prefer iTunes

mynameis
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I prefer iTunes, but I don't think Napster is worthless, I know a lot of people that are quite happy with it. It just is a personal thing. Since I first signed up for iTunes, I bet I have averaged aboug $8 a month, I just don't listen to that much music.

I pay $20 a month for my gamefly subrscription, sure it costs me $240 a year and in the end I am left with nothing which some people might think is crazy, but I am not about to go out and buy every game I want to play even though I know some people that do that.

technologist
09-06-2005, 12:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if you want an album, you might as well buy the CD. Maybe it'll cost more, but you'll have a good backup copy that you can play anywhere, lyric notes, and a solid CD case to keep it in.

If you want a single song, get it from iTunes; 99 is a pretty good deal...plus you get it instantly.

KriegsCX
09-21-2005, 10:41 AM
This may be irrelevant, since Napster is not availavbe for Macs, but I think you should check out Tunebite.

It really makes Napster the better choice.