change background colour

Reaction score
Hi, I hate white backgrounds like google, it hurts my eyes, I want to make the default a colour, just on white backgrounds. Is there a simple css file that will do that without totally messing up websites?

(Safari)

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, I found one solution. Get an app from apple (free) called Turn Off the Lights, set it to green, just a small amount, and turn off automatically on loading page.

It's not ideal as it makes the print fainter, and it goes off if you click on the page, but its not bad.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I much prefer dark backgrounds also, but just not practical all the time. I have to deal with sensitivity to bright lights, etc... Can't hardly go outside on a sunny day without sunglasses, at least not if I want to be able to open my eyes.

You really should be dealing with this by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the monitor though. I am on maybe 5-8 screens in a given day and must adjust these settings several times. When I'm on the same computer screen for a day, it gets adjusted several times that day.

If the screen hurts to look at or causes you to squint, it's time to crank that brightness down to an acceptable level.

OP
F
Reaction score
I much prefer dark backgrounds also, but just not practical all the time. I have to deal with sensitivity to bright lights, etc... Can't hardly go outside on a sunny day without sunglasses, at least not if I want to be able to open my eyes.

You really should be dealing with this by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the monitor though. I am on maybe 5-8 screens in a given day and must adjust these settings several times. When I'm on the same computer screen for a day, it gets adjusted several times that day.

If the screen hurts to look at or causes you to squint, it's time to crank that brightness down to an acceptable level.

Have you had your eyes checked? If not you must get checked out. Light sensitivity can be different things, eg a simple vitamin deficiency, but with me it is uveitis which can lead to blindness if not treated.

As for adjusting the screen brightness, i dont want to do that for 2 reasons. One is that I had a load of noise problems after adjusting the brightness and not they are very rare so I darent touch it. Second is I use a programme which has a darkish background and I am used to the skin. My brightness is set to about 40%. Also some of the forums I go on have grey backgrounds. As far as I know I am on normal contrast.

Its mainly google, and a few other sites but this programme seems to be doing the trick.

Also a problem with mail, really apple should be sorting this better

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure if this is a great answer for you, but you can toggle between the normal and "inverse" color scheme by pressing Control+Option+Command with your left hand and tapping the number '8' with your right. You'll notice now that the colors are in the negative, which might be a handy shortcut for you, given your condition.

You can do the same thing once again to toggle the setting off.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I use the above every morning.

And yep, been checked out. Genetic condition of many of us with very light colored eyes. The great thing about it, makes it almost impossible to forget your sunglasses somewhere. ;D (At least during the day time.)

OP
F
Reaction score
I am now typing in white on a black background! Not the ideal answer but it is an option to use sometimes, cheers. Shortcut didnt work for me but I found it under universal access.

But Apple - I just want to be able to replace white backgrounds with a softer colour! Who wants to look at a bright white screen all the time doing a heavy google session or writing mail!

I really must contact them.

C

chas_m

I use a tool called "Flux" (and there are entirely TOO MANY different Mac programs with this name, btw!) that gradually dims the brightness and contrast of the monitor in accordance with the time of day in your location. I find this also helps me get to sleep faster when I'm finally done with the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.