Am I Missing Something?

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro, after many years with Windows PCs. This came with iLife and hence iWeb 09. I have recently started looking at iWeb with a view to redesigning some of my Windows websites but I appear to be missing something.
I thought that iWeb was suppose to be a piece of website design software but it appears to a sort of half way house. I have only been looking at this software for a few hours and have already come up with several problems which iWeb doesn't appear to cater for.
Firstly there is no "Save As" facility and I have no control as to where iWeb saves my website. From what I can find out I have to go into finder and duplicate / rename files so that I can keep copies of current website and under development website. This is further complicated by the fact that any additional websites are also saved with the first one.
I have now found out that iWeb doesn't provide a table facility, you have to create a table in another program and then use an HTML snippet.
Am I missing something as I expect Website design software to allow me to create my website without having to get involved in anything else? This is how my current Windows software works.
If iWeb doesn't provide a full website design facilities can somebody please recommend some Mac software that does

Regards

ElBeardo :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know much about iWeb, as I've barely played with it, so until someone who does comes along, here's a link to iWeb support.
Apple - Support - iWeb

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iWeb is a bit simplistic for my tastes (at least it was the last time I looked at it). If you intend to throw up a quick, template-based page, it will certainly do the job. Any more than that and you may want to look at something more fully featured. Personally, I like RapidWeaver.

Reaction score
I'd suggest looking at RapidWeaver (as already suggested), SandVox, or Freeway. All of which are Mac based web design apps and offer quite a bit more functionality than iWeb.

Hope that helps. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for The Help

Having spent a couple of days with iWeb I have come to the conclusion that it is a pretty useless piece of software. I have even found that one of the facilities it is suppose to have, colour of hyperlinks, just doesn't work.
My research had led me to the three pieces of software suggested Rapidweaver, Sandvox and Freeway I will see if I can download trial versions. I hate to admit but I also have the option of using my current Windows software under VMFusion but we will see

Thanks for all the help

ElBeardo :)

C

chas_m

ElBeardo:

You are correct that iWeb isn't the program for you, but wrong about everything else. It's a terrific (albeit basic) website creator. What it IS NOT, however, is any kind of HTML editor.

PS. Setting or changing colour of hyperlinks works fine on my end.

Reaction score
Iweb is very limited in what it can do. It's pretty worthless for serious web design. I have to say the same thing about RapidWeaver. In order to do anything not included in the RapidWeaver templates it's gets so convoluted that it's virtually impossible. I bit the bullet and bought Dreamweaver. It's a steep learning curve but if you start with AP divs (I know, I know some web designers frown on this.) it is at least as good as RapidWeaver and a whole lot more versatile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.