Utterly failing to install Boot Camp from Snow Leopard

Reaction score
After spending the last twelve hours trying to get this to work, reading the instructions and searching the Internet, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

First, my specs: I have an iMac bought new from Apple in October of last year. According to the instructions, this should run 64-bit fine.

Without too much trouble, I got my machine partitioned and Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

("Without too much trouble" meaning I first did this all in 32-bit, installed Boot Camp, no audio worked, tore my hair out in frustration, then read I really wanted 64-bit for gaming. So I figured, fine, I'll reinstall everything as 64-bit, and that should hopefully also take care of the audio problem.)

Then comes the problem; I booted up in Windows and put in my Snow Leopard CD and try to run Boot Camp, and it insists that Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this model - which according to the instructions, it absolutely should be. I downloaded the 3.2 update, but until it gets 3.0 on it, that's obviously not too useful.

Ideas on how to get it to install Boot Camp x64? Or, if the instructions are lying and it really won't handle 64 bit, how to get audio to work? (When I had it up on 32 bit I tried downloading drivers and rebooting, but that didn't do anything.)

Many thanks to anyone with any ideas at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Exactly which iMac do you have and what's the exact version of the Windows disc you have?

Also what problems did you have installing Windows 7 64bit in the first place?

OP
G
Reaction score
Exactly which iMac do you have and what's the exact version of the Windows disc you have?

Also what problems did you have installing Windows 7 64bit in the first place?

The Windows disc is: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit software X15-60561-01
The Mac is: iMac 11.3, Intel Core i3

This morning a possible culprit occurred to me. I had bought for my old MacBook Snow Leopard, but never opened it, and may have actually used that for the boot (still looking for the iMac's own install discs, but no luck so far). That was Snow Leopard 10.6, but I'm starting to suspect that didn't have the drivers specific for this iMac for Boot Camp.

The original problems installing were with 32bit - the audio didn't work. I found plenty of people talking about the issue, and almost as many solutions. I think I realized I'd needed 64bit before I tried downloading the 3.2 update, and some people had talked about that fixing it. I'd really, really rather not go with 32 bit though.

If I can't find the original installs, I'll see if I can get those replaced from Apple.

Thanks again for the help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Confirmed. That was the primary issue. Other than some inexplicably bad feedback on Teamspeak, all is well now.

**** user error...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.