hdd problem on g4

P

punktured

Hey all. I just got a 300gb maxtor hdd for my g4, put it on and it only reads 130gb. I read up on the maxtor site and said i need a pci adaptor and i was just wondering if there is a way of doing it without buying an adaptor. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
What G4 do you have?
Older PowerMac G4 (I think everything before the Quicksilver, not sure though) can only recognise a maximum of 128GB with the onboard IDE controller.
That unfortunately means that you will need an additional PCI-card to use disks larger than that.

OP
B

Badger

For some models 128 gbs is seen as a limit per volume, not per device. You can try to partition the disk into volumes of less than 128 gbs each. This doesn't work on all models but it might do it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Avalon said:
What G4 do you have?
Older PowerMac G4 (I think everything before the Quicksilver, not sure though) can only recognise a maximum of 128GB with the onboard IDE controller.
That unfortunately means that you will need an additional PCI-card to use disks larger than that.

Yep,the first macs that didn't have that issue were the g4's that came right after the quicksilver. Consider an Serial ATA controller if U can. They run faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.