Surround Sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I have a 12" Powerbook and just purchased Logitech's 5.1 speakers. It has 3 plugs (orange, black, green), Green for the front LR, Orange for Center, and Black for Rear LR. On my PB there's only one OUT (headphones), has anyone seen a splitter or maybe a USB out for 5.1 ?? Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
You can get USB external sound cards for any computer, but even the Power Macs don't come with 5.1 out of the box, you have to buy an aftermarket upgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
sevenhelmet said:
You can get USB external sound cards for any computer, but even the Power Macs don't come with 5.1 out of the box, you have to buy an aftermarket upgrade...

I know it's off topic, but the PowerMac G5 and iMac G5 actually have digital 5.1 output build-in, through the optical digital output. No aftermarket upgrade needed. All you need is an 5.1 amplifier with an optical input (like every good home cinema setup has).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Avalon said:
I know it's off topic, but the PowerMac G5 and iMac G5 actually have digital 5.1 output build-in, through the optical digital output. No aftermarket upgrade needed. All you need is an 5.1 amplifier with an optical input (like every good home cinema setup has).

That's great! I've got a digital amp, now all I need are the cables. No need to invest in a card!
:)

How did you find that out? I couldn't find a spec on the optical sound output anywhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
SomaGaze said:
or these babies...

They don't seem to have a digital input, or did I miss it?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sevenhelmet said:
That's great! I've got a digital amp, now all I need are the cables. No need to invest in a card!
:)

How did you find that out? I couldn't find a spec on the optical sound output anywhere...

Read it in an article somewhere, don't remember exactly.
A digital sound output for stereo wouldn't make much sense, except maybe for some High End CD-players.

5.1 surround sound is supported by Quicktime 7 and DVD player. But your source material needs to be encoded with 5.1 sound, of course. I don't know if there are any Mac games that have surround sound...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
crysalis said:
I haven't tried it out yet..But out of all the 5.1 interfaces I've seem for my powerbook this one looks the best...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/
That looks pretty decent. There's quite a bit I would like to add to my Power Mac and surround sound is one of them.

I'm going to look into this piece of equipment a bit more. Thanks.

Y

yorg30

Hi! Everytime I try to play a song or hear the news on my laptop (iBook G3) the file downloads onto my desktop. So, for instance, I look for a song in amazon music, and tried to play the music samples, instead of playing it, it downloads on my desktop. I don't have microsft media, real player or quicktime player installed. If I get QTP pro 7 would that solve the problem? What should I do? Is there something wrong with my computer?

Yorg30

Y

yorg30

Another Q. My computer is an iBook G3 with 500 MHz. If I get the iSight video/camera, would it work fine with my computer or I will experience some blurness in my video conference.

Yorg30

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.