• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does a MAC need virus protectio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidov

OK so it may seem a dumb question... My year one Virex sub expired and I'm wondering do I really need this? IF we a (and I was for the previous well since 1985ish) PC user it's a no brainer. But do I beleive the hype of with only a small penetrationin the market nobody bothers with the MAC...

For those who support the use of anti-viral software can you provide example of what has been hit OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
No need for it. In my many years of mac use. I have gotton only 1 virus. I wouldn't really call it a virus b/c it didn't harm my system. It just made my files go out of order. Now days with os X, the apple OS is safer than ever. there is nothing to worry about!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This is an on going discussion on this board. If you want more detail, just search this board. Most of the people here say no you don't need. There are some that suggest you should use it to protect your PC brotherin, from infected mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I truely believe it matters what your networks setup is like... get the virus protection software if you have windows on your network.. this will help keeop viruses off those machines by not allowing your mac to transfer them or be a host for those virus files... if you only have macs. or only the one computer there really is no point to having the virus software on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Nobody actually NEEDS a Anti-Virus program, it's just good to have. Get a free one. There's no need to pay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are not any currently, nor have there ever been any viruses for Mac OS X. This is not to say that there couldn't be a virus, there just aren't any right now. I would recommend virus protection if you regularly connect to Windows machines or Windows networks, not to protect the Mac, but rather to protect the Windows machines. The Mac could harbor a Windows virus, and while that virus won't do a thing to the Mac, the Mac could pass a virus to one of the Windows machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Most viruses even if you have a windows virus on a mac, does not automatically transfer over to the window's machine.. you would have to transfer it yourself.. and hopefully you can tell when an email you receive has a virus attached or not :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Murlyn said:
Most viruses even if you have a windows virus on a mac, does not automatically transfer over to the window's machine.. you would have to transfer it yourself.. and hopefully you can tell when an email you receive has a virus attached or not :)
The only situation I can think of is a Word doc with a macro virus. You could conceivably get an infected Word doc, edit it without noticing, and send it on to a Windows using friend.

Most Windows viruses (worms, really) are so obviously bad that any Mac user would just Trash them immediately, without needing an antivirus program to detect them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.