PDA

View Full Version : IMac General Question About Design Programs

cy44
04-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Is there a WYSIWYG program for Macs that can make a website look like this:

Attack Athletics | Where The Pros Train (http://www.attackathletics.com)

I want to design a professional looking website, but I am not too experienced. I came across this website, I am not a promoter nor have any relation with the people at this site, I just thought it looked very professional....and probably expensive. Any thoughts/input will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Charlie

bobtomay
04-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

cy44
04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Anybody?

kpmedia
04-09-2011, 08:30 PM
It looks to have been manually programmed in a CMS. It was not likely built with GUI software on a desktop system. Most higher-grade sites are hand coded, with graphics made in Photoshop.

This site also has an annoying intro video, which could have been made any number of ways. Adobe Flash is likely, though the expansions to Premiere and Encore in past versions could have made them part of the workflow.

Expensive? Yes. (Easily a $10K+ site)

This is one of those kinds of questions where, if you have to ask, it's way outside your ability to do it. I say this in honesty, not with malice.

The design is very vBulletin 4.x-like, but lacks a forum, so is not likely using vB. It also has elements of blog platforms, though it's not WordPress. I might guess Drupal or Joomla.

Excluding the intro video, I could put together a site like that with a few weeks time. It's not "easy" but neither is it a challenge of any kind. (Also assuming the client had enough content for text/images. Or for my own sites, enough accrued content to be ready to go.)

The header Flash doesn't serve much purpose, aside from slowing the site. The creator obviously considered this, compressing it highly, which has only made it look kind of crappy in the process. Sites don't need moving stuff simply for the sake of having moving stuff on screen.

Their video testimonials page? Yuck. Use a tripod, or use anti-shake filters in post.

Nice? Yes.
Possible to re-make? Sure!
Can you do it? Probably not.
With Mac desktop software? No.

chas_m
04-12-2011, 03:18 AM
If you don't have experience with designing websites, you're simply NOT going to create a world-class website on your first try. This never happens, no matter what tool you're using.

A professional website is an ever-evolving thing and involves a **** of a lot of learning (constantly!). Pro level = hire a professional (or become one).

If you want to make a website that doesn't suck, THAT you can absolutely do, with a little patience and some desktop software. Even iWeb can be used to make basic but nice-looking sites. A step above that would be like Rapidweaver or Freeway. Beyond that you can look at stuff like Dreamweaver but again, BIG learning curve if you're starting from scratch (and really, a pretty good knowledge of HTML/CSS/XML is mandatory anyway).

Bottom line: there's casual sites and serious sites. Serious sites generally require a pro.

cy44
04-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Thank you for the responses! What are the going rates for designers, is it done by job, by the hour, page etc?

kpmedia
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
It goes by project specs, which are based on hourly rates + costs.
Avoid anybody that charges by the page.

When I do work, I give an upfront estimate based on the description, and I'm almost always right on the mark. This assumes the client doesn't keep changing direction midstream, which happens, and which adds more costs.

Most are 50% minimum down payment, with the remainder due at scheduled times.