• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just scared myself silly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.66ghz i7, 8gbram, 1tb hdd
i just plugged in my macbook charger backwards into the surge protector. big spark and all the power went out in my room. i had to go downstairs and flip the breaker switch back on.

but then i plugged it in the other way and the same thing happened so it has to be the charger. going to take it into the apple store tomorrow and let them test it out. I'm going to LOL in real life when all the lights in the store/mall go out!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It could be the wall socket. Have tried another in a different room?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Try something else in that socket. Something you are ok with losing. And if the same thing happens you know it's the socket. But yeah a different room is a hood idea too. Cause that is probably on a different circuit in the house. The kitchen is a good one to try cause it's usually on a different circuit to the bedrooms living room. But have look at your circuit breaker just to make sure.

Reaction score
That is scary!! Do you have a lot of stuff plugged in on that wall? I had an empty socket and the same thing happened with my lamp when I tried to plug it in. But I realized I had a lot of other stuff going on in the other sockets on that wall. Once I unplugged them it was fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you check to see if the magsafe attachment is clean? Since it is magnetic, it can attract metal stuff. Happened to mine after I was working on my G5 case.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you check to see if the magsafe attachment is clean? Since it is magnetic, it can attract metal stuff. Happened to mine after I was working on my G5 case.

I never thought about the charging end being dirty like that. I have some electronic connection cleaner laying around. I'll try hitting it with that.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

This seems like a much more likely candidate cause. There's not much in a wall socket to go wrong - and if something in there was fault causing (of the exciting type you described) - you would have found out without plugging something in. I gotta think it's either a faulty adapter or perhaps as idrinorbarsaku described - although - I'd be surprised that Apple didn't put a fail safe mechanism in the adapter just in case terminals did get shorted. I didn't think the magsafes were polarity sensitive - so I don't think there is a "backwards".

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I never thought about the charging end being dirty like that. I have some electronic connection cleaner laying around. I'll try hitting it with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.