PDA

View Full Version : Getting seriosuly snubbed by my PC friends

Phacade
04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Its like reverse racism almost. All my computer friends that could have cared less one way or the other, all of a sudden, seem to be snubbing me because I bought a Mac...a "Quackintosh" as one puts it. I get poked at occasionally, asked how my Fisher-Price toy handles on the web, and get asked a lot of (in my opinion, meaningless) benchmark questions in order to "prove" the superiority of their PCs.

I get the full verbal rub on how much I paid in comparison to theirs, get ridiculed in raids in WOW..."hurry up, he's on a Mac and it could blow up at ANY TIME!" Any conversation that steers close to computers, I find myself on the short end of the joke, and I'm sick of it. Hodges burns music for everyone...but wait, Jimmy's got a Mac, can your widdle machine handle it? John sends everyone a link...and makes sure and mention in a CC that hopefully Jimmy's aluminum toy can bring it up. "It speaks Klingon" they say. Web Forums I've belonged to for years now have virtual rednecks catcalling me for buying a Mac. I'm sick of it!

I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent. I've built countless PCs, managed several sites, and researched the poo out of my next computer choice before I got a Mac. I believe I got the right computer for me, so why am I being made to feel guilty for it? Why am I suddently the red-headed stepchild of the technology world now that I bought an Apple?

Does it get better? Did your friends, both online and IRL eventually accept youir decision and move on, or do they continue to go all 3rd grade on you forever?

MYmacROX
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Jealousy rears its ugly head. ;)
People don't like change. If everyone you knew drove Fords and you bought a Honda, they would harass you for that too. If it's harmless joking around, no big deal. If people are truly being mean then they're not your real friends anyways.

Chef_eam
04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
They're just po'd that they did not have enough intelligence to by a Mac. Luckily, nonoe of my friends have resorted to being 3rd. graders about my choice to move to a Mac.

Buzzard2010
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Or you could step down to their level lol and start throwing pokes back at them like, how many crashes they have, viruses, blue screens of death, driver problems, slow booting times etc etc etc ;)
Of course that is probably a massive step down to their level by the sounds of it.

- Simon

Raz0rEdge
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow..how old are you and your friends?? Such idiotic behavior is barely passable for someone who hasn't reached their teens yet..but anyone beyond that should seriously grow up..

I, like you, have built numerous PC's over time and have upgraded it countless times more since I am a gamer and that endless cycle pushed me over the edge and made me a console gamer. I hadn't used Windows on my home machine for years mainly using Linux for everything. I only use Windows at work and that too because I'm too lazy to fight the Microsoft tools/integration nightmare..at home I finally switched over to a Mac about 1.5 years ago and yes I paid way more for this than my previously built PC but I don't care..my money..I do what I want with it..

I don't see the need or the inclination to explain my decisions or computing habits to anyone..and neither should you..

There's something to be said about ignoring people that surely have the maturity of a rock..

Regards

Buzzard2010
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow..how old are you and your friends?? Such idiotic behavior is barely passable for someone who hasn't reached their teens yet..but anyone beyond that should seriously grow up..

I, like you, have built numerous PC's over time and have upgraded it countless times more since I am a gamer and that endless cycle pushed me over the edge and made me a console gamer. I hadn't used Windows on my home machine for years mainly using Linux for everything. I only use Windows at work and that too because I'm too lazy to fight the Microsoft tools/integration nightmare..at home I finally switched over to a Mac about 1.5 years ago and yes I paid way more for this than my previously built PC but I don't care..my money..I do what I want with it..

I don't see the need or the inclination to explain my decisions or computing habits to anyone..and neither should you..

There's something to be said about ignoring people that surely have the maturity of a rock..

Regards

Finely put sir, I take my hat off to you ;) (if I had one on)

- Simon

robduckyworth
04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
heres what you say back to them:

"I am using a PC. I just use a different operating system."

Shikarnov
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
My advice is to ignore them because most of the haters, in Mac vs PC and in other areas of life, are ideologues. You're offending their sensibilities by making a choice they wouldn't make. And nothing you say is going to change their mind because they're not interested in having a real discussion. Go on about your day, enjoy your Mac, and don't worry about them.

If you really want some ammunition, I can give you some anecdotes from my experience since switching three years ago, but you may be disappointed by the result. You might as well try explaining carbon dating to a Young Earth theorist, or Climate Change to a Republican.

Doug b
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Your "friends" sound like PRETTY PRINCESSES, quite frankly. Personally speaking, I wouldn't be too moved by their melodrama, unless of course you find their rants justified because they're right?

Like yourself, I've also come from a Windows background, and have also used Linux. Every machine I've run in my life was built by me. I'll admit, that if this were a decade or so ago, I might have made similar digs at my Mac owning friends. But not to the extent of taking myself seriously. OS X has come a long way since a decade ago, especially given the migration to Intel architecture.

If your friends take pride in calling OS X an OS with training wheels because they can't imagine not having to spend half of their time tinkering in order to maintain stability, then that's their issue, not yours. Okay, so you have to take a bit of crap for the fact that OS X isn't a good gaming platform... but if that's the only reason to own a computer, then it's also an easy thing to fix. Dual boot!

Go ask your "friends" exactly what it is they think you're not able to accomplish with OS X that they're able to. I'm super curious. If you get nothing but mocking answers, then it's safe to say they're just not informed or bright. Ignorant, to say the least.

Doug

Phacade
04-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah I thought I was well beyond these nap-time antics, I'm 37 for goodness sake. Thankfully its good-natured rubbing for the most part from IRL friends around town, although a lot of "friends" online that seem to think they are the 2nd coming with the PC are the worst. I've never really encountered this behavior before, granted I've only had my Mac for just under 2 weeks.

I, like Raz0redge, have largely become a console gamer (I think my gamerscore speaks for itself). I've got my rocking gaming chair, a mini-fridge, and a 32" television for gaming, what do I care if my computer has SLI or not? I'm coming to the conclusion that its a matter of personality. I drive a small hatchback because I like it. It gets good milage and is fun. My truck friends probably don't get it. Good comparison there.

I've just never exprienced computer teasing before, and its weird as I LOVE BARBIES.

codda
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Way too much thought going in to this....it's just a computer...

Phacade
04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah your probably right, Codda. I just don't know where all the anti-Mac hostility is coming from.

TattooedMac
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Im looking at how upset you are about your friends ridiculing you for your Mac.
Ill be very frank here, yes its wrong and childish as others have mentioned, BUT mate i would be looking at home and see why i get so upset.
That is just me. DONT let it worry you. You have no reason to come back to them trying to defend yourself, but i would be looking at why you are so upset about it. There could be further underlying mental problems (being serious and no dig at you)

I have gone through a lot of sh1t over the years and the Veteran Affairs counselling i had always state not to let things get to you and if you do you have to look at why, bc 99% of the time there is another problem in the mind......

As i said this isnt a attack on you, but maybe you need to look a little deeper.

To thwart your problem, just look at them smile and say "yep no worries, your right" and that should shut them up. Dont fight it as that is what the d icks are looking for

Cheers

Phacade
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Perhaps I came off wrong (easy to do online when others can't see you or hear the inflections in your voice).

Its not bothing me, persay,and I'm not upset. Never was. I'm just not sure where all the anti-Mac hostility (particularly online) is coming from. I'm not some mentally-fragile guy who whines when others point and laugh at me, quite the opposite. I've just not experienced PC-rasism before.

My initial point was to ask if anyone else if anyone else has experienced this (and I'm sure some have).

TattooedMac
04-05-2011, 04:55 PM
^^^^^ sorry mate took it ways out of context. Didnt mean that

But FYI mentally-fragile people have deeper problems as well.
What people dont realise and like to brush people off with a mental problem, but it is a disease and should be seen as such. We are not just mentally-fragile at all. Some chemicals just are not in some peoples brains.

Good luck with it all, but dont give it back bc thats what they want. It will p1ss them off more if it doesnt affect you :)

Cheers

iWhat
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Admitting you use a Mac to WoW players is social suicide. Don't do it! :)

Whenever someone gives you crap, ask them, if they have anything better to do like viruses to scan for. Or maybe, throw out a couple of the "it just works", they laugh, but don't let them get the best of you. You just got to play along. Most of these WoW players don't even know how much their computer costs, cause their parents bought them that computer.

Phacade
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Good luck with it all, but dont give it back bc thats what they want. It will p1ss them off more if it doesnt affect you :)

Cheers

I suspect thats a lot of it. I typically don't respond to jeers and cat-calls.

Phacade
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Admitting you use a Mac to WoW players is social suicide. Don't do it! :)

HA! Don't I know it. I figured that out the hard way. I was deep in a raid with some friends and one of them commented he couldn't hear my turbine-like fan from my computer over the microphone. "oh, I got a new Mac...its much quieter."

...and the insanity began online. Next time I keep my trap shut. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

robduckyworth
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah your probably right, Codda. I just don't know where all the anti-Mac hostility is coming from.

you are obviously very new to this... "phenomenon"

iWhat
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
HA! Don't I know it. I figured that out the hard way. I was deep in a raid with some friends and one of them commented he couldn't hear my turbine-like fan from my computer over the microphone. "oh, I got a new Mac...its much quieter."

...and the insanity began online. Next time I keep my trap shut. :Lips-Are-Sealed:
Uh-oh, I guess you walked right into that one. lol

People always get made fun of for their mics. We had one guy play on his laptop, and it seriously sounded like ghosts weeping in the background, whenever we talked. Then, we had another who sounded like he was flying a plane. It's also funny, when you can recognize the person by them just leaving their mic open.

MYmacROX
04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Almost 3 yrs with this MBP and fans are still whisper quiet running a 7200rpm drive. Of course, I'm not gaming with it. Just sayin'... ;)

Phacade
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
you are obviously very new to this... "phenomenon"

Yeah, well I'm on day 10 of owning my Mac...I gots a lot to learn :P

Doug b
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
You drive a hatchback?.... http://board.ateaseweb.com//public/style_emoticons/default/colonW.PNG

AAAHHHAhahahaAhahhaahahahah!! http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/roflol.gif

;D

Doug

Phacade
04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep. 2003 Ford Focus SVT with slightly more mods than Mac Forums has. I love it...

IvanLasston
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is an analysis I did a while ago - so the data is old - but when you hear PCs are cheaper feel free to use any of the arguments on why you get what you pay for.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/218289-objective-cost-comparison-mac-vs-pc.html

Consider this also - My coworker switched his work computer from a HP to a Mac. Just like many PCs the HP would randomly shutdown/reboot and sleeping when you closed the lid was a c**p shoot. He figures the time spent rebooting and waking from sleep alone is worth more than the difference in price.

I use the lid closure thing all the time with my PC friends - especially when passing the computer back and forth. It irks them that I can actually close the lid and wake from sleep with impunity. (Yes most modern PCs have the sleep working now but not all)

the8thark
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I just tell those people "Your loss when you have to replace your windows box in a year or 2". My Mac will still be relevant 5+ years after I buy it. And I leave it at that.

Phacade
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
So I got home tonight and my buddy calls me. He'd just got himself a smokin' new computer from Best Buy last December. He's a little meek on the phone and immediately apologizes for giving me crap about my Mac. Odd, I think, considering I was just talking about this online earlier, but whatever. So whats up?

"...my computer won't boot."

Yep. Perfect moment for a told-you-so, but I don't. So I grab some boot-up discs, a few screwdrivers, and head over to his house. An hour later I've cleaned his registry, shoveled out his MSCONFIG, and eventually got it working again. He smiles meekly when I bring up a half-naked chick with her panties on her head. Yeah, stop doing that man! I boot up and then help myself to a Pepsi out of his refrigerator. He shrugs as I walk out the door.

"...I suppose I can't give you DANCING PONIES about your Mac anymore."

I didn't even answer. I didn't have to. The moment was too perfect (and oddly coincidental).

95M3Fanatic
04-05-2011, 11:40 PM
In terms of laptops, mac is the best route to go these days. desktops are a totally different story. for what i can build with parts from new egg, id get a total piece of CRAP imac for a similar price.

Winchester92367
04-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Their just suffering from fruit envy. You have slick machine of polished glass and brushed aluminum that is equipped with with a pretty much trouble free OS. It boots up fast, shuts down fast, free of bloatware, relatively immune from malware/virus's, with no need to take those stupid patches and updates once a week. Excels at editing photos, video and music and can do anything a PC can do x2! Revel in your time! Rub it in there faces! For those who do not compromise there is Apple...for everyone else...well...there's PC!!!!;D

PeterJP
04-06-2011, 05:03 AM
I agree with 95M3Fanatic that Mac laptops are really good value. When I say I'm lusting over a MacBook Air, PC fanatics usually don't understand at all. Until I compare to non-Apple hardware, which turns out to be bigger, heavier, and pricier. Or until I explain that a Mac comes with all this software for immediate use that is okay and that integrates with each other. For Windows or Linux, you have to first study what's available, how it works, whether it works together, and so on. A terrible waste of time for somebody who wants a computer to organise his life, not to hack or to play with.

Computer rivalry is as old as computers are. I had people laugh when I had a Sinclair ZX81 and others had a Spectrum or a Commodore Vic-20. When I upgraded to a Commodore 64, others were moving to a C=128 (using it only in C=64 mode, but hey, they officially had the better machine). By the time I went to study CS, I had Unix experience and programmed in C, while some were still beating away in assembly on their home computers. Was my experience better ? No, just different. And I've seen the same discussions on my use of PDAs instead of paper agendas or Outlook, my use of a fountain pen, my choice of a bicycle, ... It becomes a way of life after a while :)

Peter.

codda
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
In terms of laptops, mac is the best route to go these days. desktops are a totally different story. for what i can build with parts from new egg, id get a total piece of CRAP imac for a similar price.

Which imac is the total piece of crap...? I hope I don't have that one...:Smirk:

the8thark
04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
The only crappy imac is the one you don't own. :).

TF626
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I think as long as you enjoy your Mac, I'd just try to ignore it. I never had been bothered by my friends about it, but quite frankly its just much easier to use a Mac than a PC.

SJobs
04-08-2011, 06:22 PM
How do you create a new thread ???

robduckyworth
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
How do you create a new thread ???

Its Steve jobs! lol. go into a category, top left is a button entitled "new thread."

BrianLachoreVPI
04-08-2011, 08:12 PM
It's funny - I haven't experienced this one iota. The only place I ever see the Win v Mac paradigm described here - is online - and only then in commentary I may come across reading a particular tech article.

I work with quite a few intelligent people - all much moreso than myself - (some of whom develop strictly on Macs nowadays - and their reaction of course is - so ..."what do you think"...or have you looked back) -- Those that are Windows peeps are usually genuinely curious as to what my experience has been thus far. :)

I guess this mindset just 'does not compute'. Even when I used Windows exclusively - I didn't blink an eye if someone told me they used a Mac. It's such a non-event - so I guess I don't see why this engenders passion either way. Most people I know seem to look at this topic similarly - but maybe I don't hang out in the right places.

Anyone who looks at a person's choice of OS as somehow indicative of intellect, or thinks it warrants personal attacks, etc etc - probably should shut their computer and step outside and get a breath of fresh air - as it's probably been a while since they've done so.

Audio.Trench
04-08-2011, 08:25 PM
a knife and a pair of scissors both do one thing.. cut.. they just do it differently.

/shrugs

Moss
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
a knife and a pair of scissors both do one thing.. cut.. they just do it differently.

/shrugs

Good one!

Feniks80
04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Not sure about you, but my iMac has preformed flawlessly.

I can ensure you it's just jealously Phacade. I know a handful of people who would constantly bad mouth Apple for years, just to abandon their PC for an Apple because it was affordable for them.

txtchr
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm laughing. I mean, really laughing. This is SO high school mentality. How do I know? I teach in a high school, and I hear this from my high school kids all the time.

Think for a minute. They're spewing the beliefs and opinions that they know best. Not that they know another way, but that they "know best." It's ignorance at its finest.

I teach technology classes, so I see two types of students: the ones who want to know enough to function and be aware what's in the world, and the ones that are hacker-wannabes. The ones that have an open mind are receptive to any new concept. They'll gladly learn new software, new ways of doing things, they'll see the reason to use the keyboard shortcuts along with the menus. They see the need for different OS's. They are versatile. They are the kids that ask me about Macs (even though we teach exclusively on Windows). Many of them will buy them for college because they feel they are a better deal, they're more reliable, and the system suits their needs.

Then you have the hacker-wannabes. They're the ones that have been gaming since they could walk, download everything illegal that is out there, know how to get past all security measures at school, know all of the proxys, and are the true Mac-haters. They think there is only ONE way to do anything in any piece of software you teach them and will argue that point until the bell rings. They honestly believe the Mac OS is an inferior OS. You can talk until you are blue in the face with them and it will do no good.

But you're attempting to rationalize with an irrational person. I figured that out real quick and hit them back with a phrase that they often give me: "Don't hate."

I finally got through to several of my students when I made the analogy: Do you drive? Do you drive an automatic transmission? Wow. I drive a standard. I like a standard. Why don't you drive a standard? All of a sudden their head bowed down and they didn't answer. Pressing further, they admitted: "I don't know how." So, two different transmissions will get you from Point A to Point B. Enthusiasts will debate them both. But they are both a transmission, true? However, I, personally, believe a stick is the way to go. Am I to be ridiculed? Am I to be shunned? Race car drivers always drive a standard, you know. They're the pros. Well, they couldn't argue with that.

High-school aged mentality needs to be treated as such. Immaturity and ignorance are blinders that people wear.

"There are none so blind as those that will not see."

Phacade
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Update - I'm coming up on a month of owning my Mac now and I don't hear much from my friends anymore. They gave me some crap in the beginning (two of them were, as txtchr point point, real 42-year old hacker-wannabes). Still, they're my friends and have accepted it...a few of them are genuinely curious now. Online folks are still rather jerky, but thats to be expected. I don't volunteer information.

Anyone who looks at a person's choice of OS as somehow indicative of intellect, or thinks it warrants personal attacks, etc etc - probably should shut their computer and step outside and get a breath of fresh air - as it's probably been a while since they've done so.

Well said!

RavingMac
04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Update - I'm coming up on a month of owning my Mac now . . . ..

And what is your thought about your decision after one month. Good, bad or otherwise?

Phacade
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
And what is your thought about your decision after one month. Good, bad or otherwise?

Honestly I've been quite impressed. It. Just. Works. Some things took a little adjustment. I typcially took notes and had about 40-70 text documents on my desktop at any one time, so I'm using stickies now for those things that absolutely must be remembered like bills or the number for a sleep-over for my 7-year old. Some small stuff eludes me from time to time, and other things I'm figuring out for myself. I managed to setup multiple accounts and now my tattoo stuff is quite safe from little eyes. Everything I've plugged in worked, and yet my Mac is so quiet. I've actually taken to playing music since its so quite. My PC was like a hrd of buffalos in comparison.

I still have worries, like letting it sleep overnight instead of shutting it down. I occasionally wonder "what if" I ever go back to a PC, could I really export everything back? I doubt I will, of course, but you have these thoughts occasionally.

All-in-all, I researched the heck of the Mac before I bought I bugged the snot out of the guys at the Mac store and had an expectation of a 7 when I bought. I'm currently sitting at about a 9.2; its exceeded my expectations.

RavingMac
04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Honestly I've been quite impressed. It. Just. Works. . . . . .
All-in-all, I researched the heck of the Mac before I bought I bugged the snot out of the guys at the Mac store and had an expectation of a 7 when I bought. I'm currently sitting at about a 9.2; its exceeded my expectations.

Glad to hear it. I was talking to my wife about this subject yesterday. I buy a lot of things (too many things probably) most of which I wonder if it was worth it. But of all the things that I have bought recently I can say:

Toyota Matrix - probably the best car I ever owned (love it)
Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Watch - Wonderful investment
MacBook - bought the cheapest one, wife soon took it over
iPod Touch - my second Apple product. Loved it so much I bought
iPhone - best phone I ever had (and still have)
MacBook Pro - my replacement for the MacBook wife took away

As you say, it just works. And for my money, though it may cost a little more I have a lot more satisfaction and a feeling that it was money well spent. :)

IIsGII
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
That sucks. I experiences the same crap on my end, but they know I don't care what they have to say, so they've pretty much stopped. I personally couldn't care less whether my Mac is **** or not, I love it either way, and they know that now. Mac > PC, in my opinion.

Deckyon
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
There are a couple really funny things in this post.

First: WoW players. Anyone who takes them seriously should be put in the same boat. I play it as well, and even I dont take myself seriously in that game. It brings the worst elitist attitudes out of people.

Second: I would challenge anyone to take the stats of just the hardware and build the same machine for less. When I was looking for my new one last week, I built a 15" Alienware for a lot more than my 17" MBP (with everything upgraded except the SSD). When all was said and done, the Alienware came to more than $800 more, with the 17" Alienware being $1200 more.

With Bootcamp and Windows 7, what is the difference at that point? Windows on Intel Hardware with a cleaner case and different logo.

I got grief when I said I got a MBP. But I got it because I was pretty vocal about not going Mac for a good number of years, and to be honest, it wasnt until these latest versions of the high end MBP that I started looking at the Mac as a viable upgrade to my 4 y/o Laptop.

iHarrison
04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Phacade (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/members/phacade.html), one thing I've got to ask, as no-one else here has, is:

Be honest, did you brag excessively about having a Mac when you first bought it? Did you rub all your friends noses in it & highlight all the advantages (both the real ones and those that are just Apple propaganda) that OSX has over Windows?

If not, fair enough - I only ask because I have known a few Apple product users who have set about badgering me into admitting that their phone / music player / computer was "better" than mine.

One case was two girls on Facebook harping-on about the fact that they'd used FaceTime for the first time (one on her iPhone, the other on her iPod Touch) - all I said was that I'd seen it before on another friend's Android phone (meaning "yeah, mobile video chat - on any platform - is pretty cool"), and they'd both lept on the defensive, accusing me of being "jealous" of the 'fact' that I "[couldn't] afford" the gadgets they have (I could if I'd wanted & they knew that, making it an odd accusation).

The other one was a girl who accused me of jealousy when I innocently commented that I still preferred Windows (even after having tried Macs in the Apple store) in reply to her waxing lyrical on how much she loved her new MacBook as opposed to her old desktop PC. Once again I was accused of being jealous of her for having a pricier computer. Quite ironically hypocritical, given that she actually got her MacBook for free while at university, and she herself couldn't have afforded it otherwise!

If you did proudly brag & brag & brag about your new computer, I can understand a bunch of people who evidently don't think Macs are better (or else they'd buy them for themselves) getting pretty tired of it pretty quickly...

(Personally, I'm primarily a PC user; but I don't hate Macs or Mac users. Well, not the humble ones, anyway!)

Phacade
04-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Honestly? No. I told my friends casually whenever I was considering getting it, but thats it. Some of my friends are more mature than others and they proceeded to rub it in the ground (you should have seen my die-hard Muscle car friend freak when I told him I was getting a Focus).

Now a gaming website I've been a part of for years has a particularly strong-willed admin who, aside from being a former F-16 pilot, is a die-hard PC user. Before my income tax refund came in, I was talking to him (in private) about how I couldn't wait to replace my computer...he took it upon himself to give me a complete list off Newegg with parts to use for building. No thanks, I said, I've been thinking about getting a Mac...and the badgering began (in public).

iHarrison
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Fair enough, that is immature; and I can understand your frustration.

I may mainly use Windows, but I find Microsoft/Windows Fanboys & Fangirls every bit as annoying and pathetic as Apple/Mac Fanboys & Fangirls!

As an earlier respondent in this thread said, they're both PCs, just with different OSs...

So long as an iMac with OSX is working-out for you, that's all that matters & I wish you many further years of happy computing!

Phacade
04-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Its working and working quite well. :)

iHarrison
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I still preferred Windows (even after having tried Macs in the Apple store)I preferred, past tense, Windows at the time I originally posted in this thread.

Now, my PC keeps letting me down when I need it the most & I am swinging more & more around to the Mac way of thinking...

Just need to scrape together the cash for a good, reasonably new Mac!

Chris H.
05-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I've been in this boat before with my friends. They own almost every game console imaginable, have a self-built $1200 Windows PC…and claim Apple products are worthless junk (I must admit, my Dad agrees with them).

My first Apple was a 30GB black 5th gen iPod. My closest friend got a Zune brick.

My first Mac was a Mac mini, and my second Mac was a MacBook. Am I Windows hater? No. I still have the need to use a Windows computer for a few good reasons: repair, gaming and simple technology upkeep.

What did I say to my Apple-hating friends? "Just look at your options. A computer after all, is just a computer."

John F
10-23-2011, 03:39 PM
If I had $1 for everyone I have known who loudly trashed Macs and later came up to me and said (quietly) "I just bought a Mac".
I work in an office with both, run on Macs. They default boot to Windows to accomodate all our Windows-only colleagues.
Our office system actually runs best under Linux, which also runs well on a Mac. I wonder if any of your friends have set up their Windows computers to run Linux under a virtual machine? It can be done, but you need a lot more know-how to do it. On a Mac it is simplicity itself.
With a Mac you can do a lot of things, including running Windows, with the advantage that if you run it in a virtual machine it resides in a single large file. That single file can be duplicated so that when you get a virus (not IF, but WHEN) you just trash the file, make another copy and run from the duplicate. Its like trashing the Windows-PC and getting a new, clean one at zero cost. Something for the Win-Fans t think about (yes, you can do all that on a Windows computer, but check how complicated it is).

Hoya88
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I myself have never experienced that problem, I'm quite new to the Macintosh world, i have owned my Mac for just a few days, and all of my friends who have tested it, they LOVE it. Everyone want's to switch to a Mac now! Mostly all of my friends own a iPhone, and i think that iPhone and not to forget the iPod, has changed a lot of peoples mind on what they think of Apple and Macintosh.

I remember when i was in school, long before the iPod era, everyone hated Apple and Macintosh, they couldn't stand them, i personally think mostly because Apple products are expensive, and the classic '' you can't do everything on a Mac as you can do on a pc'' but i don't mind paying a little extra of the quality and design of Apple products.

And some of it may be true, i didn't own a Mac back then, maybe you couldn't do a lot of things with them, but with time the Os X has evolved, i'm not trying to sound poetic now, but compared to Windows, something beautiful, and now you can almost do everything with a Mac as you can do with a Windows computer.

The Os X is far more stable, easier to work with and the most beautiful OS for the eye. Personally i will never use Windows in the same scale that i have, yes i have a HP notebook, but that's most because i am i big movie fan, i love movies, and i order a lot of Blu-Ray movies from Amazon, and some of the discs are region locked, so we can't play them in our players here in Europe except on a computer, and that's the only reason that i have still kept my notebook, if Apple would have Blu-Ray players i would have sold my HP.

If Apple continue to make products this great, i will never go back to Windows, like i wrote a bit up, all of my friends will switch to Mac's, so f*uck your friends, and be proud! Apple products are like, don't know how to describe this, like Mercedes or Beemers, or in your case to, i know that you in the states like Lexus and Acura's, they for many people may not be good or great cars, but when you drive them, you get the feeling of something extra, something special, and it puts a smile on your lips. That's what i think of Apple and especially my new iMac, i just want to hug it and be with it all the time!

Apple RULES!!

MacDude121
10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
My first ever experience owning a computer was a Dell Dimension 8100. Running windows 2000 back in 2006 or so. I hated it to it's core, we also had dial up, so it's not like the thing would load a page at more than 1 picture an hour. When even trying to visit a simple site, I would get (You must have SP2 installed to Continue) Not knowing what that was at the time, I just kept trying. Finally I found windows update, and hey, guess what, Microsoft didn't have SP2 for windows 2000 anywhere.

After that horrible experience, I actually hated computers. No matter what. (I didn't even know what a Mac was)

I didn't actually use a computer again except for the occasional time in school until my 7th grade year in 2009. The school supplied each one of us with a white Macbook.

I was amazed. It was fast, reliable, and I could actually figure out how to do stuff. Mac OS X looked nice and it was user friendly. I bought my first Mac in February of 2010, my iMac G4. I liked it just as much as the Macbook, for the same reasons. Simple, ease of use, no annoying updates, slowness, or crashes.

Now, just a few weeks ago, a friend gave us their old Windows Laptop. (Not old, old, maybe 2009ish) Having sold my G5 recently, I decided I'd check it out and see how much the windows OS had come since Windows 2000.

Big Mistake.

It's slow, annoying to use, If I'm not running a software update to fix a problem, I'm getting another error message, or another patch, bug fix, service pack, Ugh.

The Whole OS just doesn't feel "in line" with the computer. It's hard to explain, but it's like I should be getting more out of it than I actually am. It's an AMD Dual Core 2.0GHz with 4GB of ram, yet I'd have a much nicer experience using my 10 year old iMac G3.

So, after all that, like so many others, I've had people laugh at me for owning a Mac, that's it's nothing more than a shiny overpriced piece of junk, but you know something, I don't care what they say, for the most part I just ignore them, or ask them how their virus boxes are doing. Because I know, from experience, that the Mac OS is what I enjoy using. It gets the job done with little effort.

It just works. Truer words have never been spoken about a Mac.

XJ-linux
10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
LOL... I read the title and thought this was a thread about "politically correct" friends giving someone static for not parroting the socially acceptable vocabulary of the day or something. Carry on.

MACyMouse
10-25-2011, 12:34 AM
I get ridiculed at home with all the PC users in the house.. when theirs breaks down, crashes, soemthing... I say "you're more than welcome to surf, email, do whatever you need to do on my imac or laptop..."

I get............ ugh! I hate macs!

Although they've never tried it. So it just goes to show you that people don't like what they don't know.

Demapples
10-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Non-issue for me when i switched. Everybody around here was always Apple, or has already switched, or is thinking of switching, or wishes they could switch.

dtravis7
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Most people I know either hate the Mac or bash it anyway. With some of them (Closer friends) I do reverse Psychology on them and say Mac reeks, OSX crashes 100x a day, no apps, not one but tiddlywinks called Mac Tiddly and even it expires after 30 days! It's funny to see their expression after I do all that. Most get sick and tired and stop the Mac bashing. A couple tried an older Mac, fell in love with OSX and got a newer Mac! Now I can't shut them up with how good OSX is! :D Grin

Only BAD side effect of that, no more service calls so no more $$$ from them that went Mac! :D Oh well, one used Mac popped it's WD hard drive and I got to fix that at least. So easy it was scary.

SFBloodBrother
10-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Find some crap to bash on them with a PC. And how a Mac is better. It's east. Macs look nicer, its all in one, no cheap material, glass, aluminum parts. Easy and there are not as many cords. Better custmer service them most PC companies.

There are a lot of ways to say a mac is better.

harryb2448
10-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Well after all the advice you got, have one thing to say.

This is great news as you did need new and better friends that that old crowd!

hugtheslug
10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I've received no bad comments about using a Mac, just interest.
There's four of us now in a small office and I don't think any of us are too pushy about it.
I find it helps not to try and indoctrinate people around you and let them make their own choice.

Cheers :)

Hugh

rabbitjetta
10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I used pcs from 1996 until 2010. I always made fun of Mac users until i used one for about a week. I had to have one. Tell them to look at what comes on the pc, too many junk programs. If you look at the Mac they have things you want to use. I still use windows at school and the most common thing people say to me is about the price and no right click.
This one kid kicked my iBook screen at school really hard. I picked it up and it didn't even scratch it. The quality of these machines is amazing compared to the average pc laptop or desktop.

dtravis7
10-30-2011, 09:34 PM
I used pcs from 1996 until 2010. I always made fun of Mac users until i used one for about a week. I had to have one. Tell them to look at what comes on the pc, too many junk programs. If you look at the Mac they have things you want to use. I still use windows at school and the most common thing people say to me is about the price and no right click.
This one kid kicked my iBook screen at school really hard. I picked it up and it didn't even scratch it. The quality of these machines is amazing compared to the average pc laptop or desktop.

I am not the physical type that goes around hitting people or getting into fights, but if someone at a school I went to grabbed my computer, Pc, Mac, whatever and kicked it, they would be in some serious pain for a long time to come. :D

I am really a peaceful person and walk the other way 99.99% of the time, but that would be the straw what broke the camels back for me. When I saw a video with Guy Kawasaki interviewing Steve Balmer and Steve grabbing his Air out of his hands and manhandling it, Balmer would have been in pain also. :D Grin.
But then again I have no respect for Steve Balmer. None at all. Gates I do, but not Balmer! :D

You just don't break or touch other peoples property.

I hope I don't come off sounding mean, I have been harassed by people all my life and always walked the other way, but that is going way too far.

rabbitjetta
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
There was a teacher right there that saw the whole thing and he got detention for it made me really mad though.

rabbitjetta
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I will say in 2008 and 2009 I was a really bad Mac hater always talking about windows and then my school sold our hp's with vista and got MacBooks and I fell in love with them. I don't pick fights with windows owners until they start making me mad cause they lie saying ransom things that they don't even know about on the Mac. Every Mac person I talk to doesn't brag about their Mac unless they are talking to another mac owner.

John F
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Adding a late note. Windows users invest a large amount of time and effort becoming familiar with all the quirks and foibles of their OS. It offends them deeply that Mac users can just sit down and use their computers with a minimum of learning - it almost seems like cheating. In the early days when I used MS-DOS I remember writing a ZBasic program that showed a picture of a Mac being destroyed by a machine gun, motivated by much the same mind set.
Lately I find less anti-Mac sentiment, but perhaps the people around me a are maturing. The computer industry seems to be going through another climate change and mass extinction, who knows where MicroSoft and Apple are going to end up?

Steve Mc
04-11-2013, 08:37 PM
forget about it, they're just jealous.

I have both, bought my first iMac 3 months ago, I use my pc as well. There are just things that macs do better, period. Anybody that has truly done their homework work would know that.

dtravis7
04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
All my PC loving, OSX hating friends are the first to call me for help every time their Windows goes crazy doing the same things I do daily. That puts a smile on my face and $$$ in my pocket!! :D Grin

TattooedMac
04-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Adding a late note. Windows users invest a large amount of time and effort becoming familiar with all the quirks and foibles of their OS.

Thankyou. I learnt a new word today :)

John F
06-28-2013, 04:02 PM
What concerns me greatly is all the people who avoid computers altogether as much as possible, and after being exposed to the Windows learning curve avoid them even more. More often than not they get their advice from an expert Windows user who tells them not to get a Mac. These are people who are going to do very well with a Mac if they get the chance which is unlikely. At least the rise of tablets may save them.

hotrod351
07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
nothing but jealousy on there part. they may never get over it.

John F
05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Its like reverse racism almost. All my computer friends that could have cared less one way or the other, all of a sudden, seem to be snubbing me because I bought a Mac...a "Quackintosh" as one puts it. I get poked at occasionally, asked how my Fisher-Price toy handles on the web, and get asked a lot of (in my opinion, meaningless) benchmark questions in order to "prove" the superiority of their PCs.

Actually if you dig a little deeper, people who identify themselves as "I'm a Windows man" or "I'm a 100% Windows user" are actually talking about the interface and compare what they see on the screen, they know little or nothing about different operating systems, nor are they in a position to make intelligent comparisons between the two.

As I have said elsewhere, the tragedy is that many inexperienced users are directed into the World of Windows by Windows experts when they might well do a lot better with the Mac interface but never get the chance to find out.