• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does it matter what HDMI i get to watch 3D movies?

Reaction score
Hey guys i saved up enough money and decided to take the plunge and bought a Samsung 3D tv
Samsung - 55" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D LED-LCD HDTV - UN55D7000L
(In case if you needed to see it or whatever for more information)
The thing is I don't know whether to buy an HDMI cable that costs 100 dollars or buy a simple 10 dollar one. I know for high definition it doesn't make a difference but what about for viewing 3D movies?
I told the bestbuy salesman the same thing and he said it only matters for 3D the faster the cable transmits the better.
But he's a salesman who was trying to sell me a lot of stuff so that made me not want to trust him.
I would like to hear your inputs since i trust people's inputs here.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
What kind of HDMI cable do I need for 3D TV?

Most recent good-quality HDMI cables should be able to carry 3D video, especially if they're 2 meters or less in length. If you're buying new cables, look for ones labeled "high-speed," "1.3," or "1.4" to be sure. You'll need higher-bandwidth cables to carry the full 3D signal — it's equivalent to nearly two 1080p signals, simultaneously.

The Source

Personally, though, I'd return the 3D TV and get one that isn't. 3D is merely a gimmick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Generally though nope. Avoid the very cheapest, but anything from £5 up is good enough. Tests done in a gadget shoot out here showed that expensive cables made no difference at all.

OP
R
Reaction score
I saw one at best buy for 100 dollars i thought that looked decent by monster
what is £5 equivalent to? i saw some reviews on best buy saying that a 30 dollar one does the trick. and back to the quote about 1.3 1.4 before posting it i did some research and one site says 1.3 1.4 dont really matter because they are just labeling the cables that so you can highly consider them better opposed to other ones. -idk if thats true but i read it some where and since i don't know thats why i decided to ask.
Sorry for being all over the place in this comment but this is answering both of you who posted :)

OP
R
Reaction score
@defensa24
Sorry for bothering you but do you own that cable? I'm a bit of a worry wart i read the reviews and one dude said it caused him problems and of course i read the 5 star reviews as well.

Reaction score
Yes, I do own that cable. It works fine. I have my PS3 connected to my Sony BRAVIA 46" HDTV and it plays 3D content really well. I also have that same cable on my other non-3D tv and works without problems.

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright man I'll order it then if anything goes wrong then I'll just get one of the higher end ones but I'm sure I'll be good with this one thanks man.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
R
Reaction score
I completely forgot about that site while i placed the order @ amazon. I guess they "processed" it already and are arranging it which i highly doubt so i can't cancel it. I went there and idk which cable to pick though. What would be a good one for 3D tv?
the 28AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables or Premium 24AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables or does it not matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I bought my cables from Blue Jeans Cable partly because, on a technical level, they are the best you can get. I'll grant that it's unlikely anyone can really appreciate any improvements they make in the picture quality, but the other facts that they are reasonably priced and American-made helped win me over.
HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable

The company owner is also a former lawyer who put Monster Cable in their place when they tried to extort licensing fees from him.
Monster Cable Correspondence

They have a page about HDMI 1.4 compliance that should be read also.
Is This HDMI Cable a 1.4 Compliant Cable? -- Blue Jeans Cable

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright thanks for all the help guys i guess I'll order a 24AWG since after doing some extensive research i read that it's better for short distances and for 28AWG is better for longer cables.
Again thanks for the input guys if anything else i should know im all ears if nothing again thanks again to all and have a good day lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.