Charger Port Getting Very Hot

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought a refurbished MacBook for college and I've been having problems ever since. First, the hard drive failed within days of purchasing. Then the left click permanently stuck. Then the charger failed.

So here I am now, with my second charger. And the part of the charger where the light is, plus the port, is getting really hot. More than I would expect it to be. Also sometimes it recognizes that the charger is plugged in, and gives the MacBook power, but doesn't actually charge. Sometimes it does not even recognize that it is connected to the computer. I bought this one used from eBay. I've asked for a refund, so I'm returning it. However I'm now afraid that it's not actually a problem with the charger, but something is wrong with the computer or the battery that is causing the chargers to fail.

PS: I've looked at the prongs inside the charger and I compared it to the old charger and they're different. The middle right prong isn't as long as on the old charger. Could this be my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
How long ago did you purchase the MacBook? If under 12 months then you will still be covered under AppleCare warranty and you should take it in to them to get it sorted.

- Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
PS: I've looked at the prongs inside the charger and I compared it to the old charger and they're different. The middle right prong isn't as long as on the old charger. Could this be my problem?

I doubt it. They're spring loaded, so as long as they touch the female side on the MacBook, all is well.

What can happen with the MagSafe port is that the magnets will draw fine bits of metallic debris. So I do recommend pulling the battery out, and using an alcohol dampened cotton swab to clean the MagSafe connector on both the MacBook and the adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.