Potable hard drive help !!!!

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I have 1TB of music on my Pc which I use when doing disco's. I have just bougt a MacBook and want to play my songs from the Pc of the MacBook. So if I bought a 1TB external hardrive would I be able to transfer all the songs from the Pc to the hardrive and then play the music from the MacBook ( I don't want to save the files on the mac, just play the music of it from the hardrive) ? As I know there are issues when using hardrives with mac and pc's because of file differences, so I was just wondering if this would work ?

Any help would be appriceated, many thanks

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
I don't see why not. storage hard drives and music files tend to be universal, but you might have a hard time playing the music from just the external hard drive. osx has to choose some player or another to play the music from, rather it be preview, vlc or iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you want to use iTunes then you would have to create an iTunes library solely on the external, which could cause issues.
You could however, use a different player and happily play them from the external, but I'm not sure whether playlists would be possible, or whether you could cue tracks to play ahead of time. I need to experiment!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thankyou ! no i wouldnt be using itunes to play the songs, it is a piece of softwae called 'Djay' all you need to do is a drag a song onto the 'virtual deck' and it starts playing. there are two decks so you can cue the next song up.

I think im gunna go for it and order the hardrive, fingers crossed !!!!!

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Should be absolutely no problems then, just be aware of the formatting issue with the drive.
You may need something like NTFS mount to be able to read/write to the external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.