PDA

View Full Version : How to make friends with Airport

hw96Lgb
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I was feeling bored one day and decided to place a text file in my shared folder named "Important Secrets" in which I wrote "Shouldn't you be working instead of snooping around?". Since I live in a dorm, I expected to catch other tenants who shared the building's network.

Lo and behold, somebody knocked at my door the next day and told me he had seen the message and thought it was pretty hilarious. We became good friends.

Just wanted to share this heartwarming story with you all. :D

chscag
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Shouldn't you start to use strong encryption for your wireless connection? ;D

fleurya
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Back when I started college in '98 our school had just recently installed high speed connections in the dorms. The only problem (depending on your point of view) was that the files of every computer hooked up to the network could be accessed unless you locked your files down.

I can't imagine how many music and video files I snatched from other people's computers.When I was bored I would read other people's homework, resumes, email, etc.

Good times.

Moss
03-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I can't imagine how many music and video files I snatched from other people's computers.When I was bored I would read other people's homework, resumes, email, etc.

Good times.

That, good sir, is known as a "win". I look forward to all the things I may find on the network.

BrianLachoreVPI
03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Funny story. When I was in school internet connection was a constant source of conflict (certainly not a friend finder) as it always tied up our only phone line!! I used to take a paper clip to the phone jack in my room and short the wires together to kick my roommate offline. :) Of course - that's better than things I had thought about - which included pulsing the line to zap his modem. :)

Chris H.
03-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I highly encrypted my WiFi network in my dorm…but I could still see other Mac's on the network. I'm sure people snooped on me. :D

robduckyworth
03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Funny story. When I was in school internet connection was a constant source of conflict (certainly not a friend finder) as it always tied up our only phone line!! I used to take a paper clip to the phone jack in my room and short the wires together to kick my roommate offline. :) Of course - that's better than things I had thought about - which included pulsing the line to zap his modem. :)

haha that did make me laugh.

no one on my network has anything of any interest, one had an empty folder named "ha".

but there is a macbook that someone named "armbook", which made me lol a little bit aswell.