Permissions...

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to the world of Macs and I'm having a problem that I hope someone can shed some light on for me.

I have a little home network consisting of 2 Macs and a PC all connected through a Westell 9100EM router.

All the computers can see each other and I can move files arounf between the 3.

Here is my problem: I need to take a pictures from Mac1 and Photoshop them on Mac2. I can do this but when I try and save the changes I get a message saying I don't have the necessary permissions to do so.

I have an Administrator account on both Macs but I still get that message.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Davva

Reaction score
are your permissions read only or read and write? Im not great when it comes to networking :/ I would assume you're set to read only though and you need to change it to read/write :) you'll find it under 'sharing' under system prefs

OP
D
Reaction score
are your permissions read only or read and write? Im not great when it comes to networking :/ I would assume you're set to read only though and you need to change it to read/write :) you'll find it under 'sharing' under system prefs

I'm set to read and write on all the sharing options and I log in as an administrator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Is it the same administrator name on both machines - or do you login with a different name into each machine? I've tended to have permission problems with the latter.

Secondly - what is giving you a permission denied? Is it trying to save in Photoshop? Can you "save as" to a different filename on Mac 1?

OP
D
Reaction score
Is it the same administrator name on both machines - or do you login with a different name into each machine? I've tended to have permission problems with the latter.

Secondly - what is giving you a permission denied? Is it trying to save in Photoshop? Can you "save as" to a different filename on Mac 1?

I use the same name and password on both machines. I am also logged on as an administrator on both.

I started up Illustrator CS5 on Mac2 and opened a picture from Mac1 on Mac2. I made some changes and tried to save the picture on Mac2. I get the following message.

"Can't save the illustration. You do not have enough access privileges"

The same thing happens in Photoshop.

I can save the picture with a different name back to Mac1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.