Taking MIDI from Garageband to other software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Hey guys,
I used protools for recording all my projects, but I used garageband for writing the songs (takes up less CPU and its easier for writing purposes). I use digital drums for both software and would like to take the MIDI notes from garageband and put them right into the protools MIDI track for drums.

I've been trying a few methods that haven't worked out so well. Maybe there's a 3rd program I can use to transfer the data? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks-
Jmurr

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
there isnt really away unless you have Logic.

you can try this, no guaranteeing it will work

MIDI and GarageBand » Mac Audio Guy

but the main reason it doesnt have an export option is so that people upgrade.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Thanks for the response.
When you say upgrade, do you mean upgrade to the newer iLife with the new garageband? or upgrade to logic?
I Don't think I would buy Logic because I'm already running protools. The real purpose of recording garageband (for me) is to make the "demo" versions of the songs I'm writing, taking the simplicity to an advantage. Where as pro tools has a more technical aspect that's unnecessary during writing.
Thanks though, I'll check that out.
-Jmurr

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
yeah, i mean upgrade to logic. Pro Tools is far better for everything in my opinion. there are a number of free DAWs out there that will export MIDI, but they are more complicated than GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.