Should I get an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm sure this has been asked several times by many people, but I thought i was post my question anyways. Should I get an iPad? Here are my expectations/uses of it:

Read PDFs that may require the usage of using Firefox (I will never use Safari)
Have the ability to type on it using a bluetooth keyboard instead of onscreen display
Be able to view flash, shockwave, java, and HTML5 based websites
attach a bluetooth headset and use it to create speech to text notes and documents
have a nice way to display my pictures if in a presentation for clients

Things/features I won't be using it for:

gaming (though i might have something like bejeweled on there)
onboard camera
music playback (that's what i have an ipod for)
youtube and video playback
3G (Wifi is all i need)

So I have my needs, would the iPad, either 1 or 2 be a good fit for me? I was planning on getting iwork and aperture for it, as well as firefox and thunderbird apps, and i was told there is a Dictation app by Dragon for speech to text. But overall, thoughts/opinions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm sure this has been asked several times by many people, but I thought i was post my question anyways. Should I get an iPad? Here are my expectations/uses of it:

Have the ability to type on it using a bluetooth keyboard instead of onscreen display
attach a bluetooth headset and use it to create speech to text notes and documents

onboard camera
3G (Wifi is all i need)

So I have my needs, would the iPad, either 1 or 2 be a good fit for me? I was planning on getting iwork and aperture for it, as well as firefox and thunderbird apps, and i was told there is a Dictation app by Dragon for speech to text. But overall, thoughts/opinions?

Flash is pretty much a nogo on iPad and to my knowledge Firefox is not available as a browser choice. Atomic browser is a good alternative to Safari however.

I would suggest going to an Apple Store or Best Buy and trying the iPad first. But, having said that I really love my iPad and use it constantly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With all of the iPad 2 excitement recently...it got me thinking...

Depending on what version iPad a person is interested in (WiFi or WiFi+3G)...and storage size (16, 32, r 64gig)...the cost of a new iPad 2 can approach or even exceed the cost of a brand new (very capable) Mac-mini (starting at $699)...or a refurbished 2010 MacBook ($849).

Yes...I know that the iPad's are really cool (and portable)...and with a Mac-Mini you still need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But when you consider what you can do with a Mac-mini or a MacBook...it just may make some folks "rethink" an iPad 2 purchase...and carefully weigh their needs (iPad vs. traditional computer).

Just something to think about,:)

- Nick

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Yea i currently carry my MacBook Pro to school a few times a week, and I would like something a bit more portable than that, meaning smaller screen size with a better battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Some Answers in blue... hope that helps!

FireFox on iPad??! Hasn't happened yet. There are a couple of different browsers in the AppStore but definitely not FF!
Though the On Screen Keyboard is a pretty solid way of inputing text, it has a bit of a learning curve and certainly not for everyone, Bluetooth Keyboards work great with the iPad.
Sorry to be blunt... but there is no way you can view Flash on the iPad, no way at all. Simply won't happen.
I've heard of a great App used by a few of collegues, though I haven't tested myself, that enables you to do just that. It's called Dictation by Dragon and I believe it is free.
Pictures on the iPad look awesome, you'll love it for that.

onboard camera
3G (Wifi is all i need)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're not going to have much of a choice on browsers. Yes, you can get browsers that aren't Safari but because of the App Store limitations, they are either front ends for Safari or operate through a proxy (such as Opera Mini). The best browsing experience is likely going to be Safari.

There is no Flash, Shockwave or Java. HTML5 content is supported but not everything aspect is supported. While a majority of HTML5 content will work, not being able to run multiple browsers may mean you will be unable to view all content.

You're best bet, as with all large purchases, is to go somewhere and try one out. Focus on testing what you want to do with it the best you can (for instance, don't test out the camera if you don't want to use it). Only you can make the decision knowing your needs but I would suggest that you make an informed one based on experiences with the device itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.