iPad 3g for international travellers

Reaction score
Hello,

I was planning to buy an Ipad for my family back in india. I want to know if the 3g service in india ( which is from BSNL - currently been provided for ipad first version ) would work in ipad 2?.

I spoke to apple and at and t - they say that its locked and the micro sim of any other carrier wont work.

I read in the Cnet reviews that we can interchange the microsim cards and use.

CNET's ongoing iPad 2 review | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

I do see a quad band accessibility in ipads configuration.

Please let me know, if i should buy the 3g version - if the ipad is to be used only in india?. or should i buy the wifi only one?.

Yours reply / remarks would be really helpful.

thanks,
Arun.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not the micro sim card per se that you need to be concerned about. It's the type of service provided by the carrier in India. For example: Here in the US we have two types of 3G service - GSM provided by AT&T and CDMA provided by Verizon. You must specify which model you want when you buy the iPad 2 in the US.

That's why you need to find out if the 3G service provided in India is compatible with that of the US, either GSM or CDMA.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi

Hey!, thanks for the quick reply.

The carrier in india does provide GSM service.
And i am planning to buy at and t ( so that its not cdma - which does not have the sim car technology ).

So would it work there?.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should work but you need to check on more thing... find out what frequencies are being used in India for the 3G service. The frequency range should be the same, but you never know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.