Changing DNSs ???

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an ex-pat living in China and have been using a VPN service for a couple of years now. Just recently I find myself without any access to my usual sources that China so dearly loves to block. I want to change or add some DNSs in my AirPort settings, but I cannot because they are not active and I cannot find a way to make them active. I had no problem when adding new DNSs to my Ethernet settings, but the Ethernet is not connected. Any ideas or advice? Thanks much.

Namaste;-)
Michael

DNS Change.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Find out the DNS addresses from your ISP. Then hit the '+' button and type them in.

OP
K
Reaction score
Find out the DNS addresses from your ISP. Then hit the '+' button and type them in.

Thanks, Harry for the reply, but as you can see from the attachment the DNSs are inactive and I want to make them active so I can add the new ones. And I can't find where to make them active.

CHEERS;-)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those are not DNS addresses per se. You have no DNS addresses listed. (The second one is your router, by the way.)

Click the + button on the bottom of the dialog and type this address in:

Click it again and add this in:

The first one is OpenDNS and second Google Public DNS. If the Chinese government hasn't blocked them, they should be OK to use. They're also fast.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, chscag. But it did'nt make much of a difference. I think because of the recently damaged submerged cables from the earthquake it will take a wihle to get things back to normal. I'm basically trying to get my new VPN to run faster than my old one. Since my old one is totally useless now.

Those are not DNS addresses per se. You have no DNS addresses listed. (The second one is your router, by the way.)

Click the + button on the bottom of the dialog and type this address in:

Click it again and add this in:

The first one is OpenDNS and second Google Public DNS. If the Chinese government hasn't blocked them, they should be OK to use. They're also fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.