• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Update: George "Geohot" Hotz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Judge OKs Sony access to 'Geohot' PayPal account | The Digital Home - CNET News

Hotz's battle with the company started in January when it requested a restraining order against him. The company alleged at the time that Hotz bypassed "effective technological protective measures" in Sony's PlayStation 3 firmware version 3.55 when he released a jailbreak allowing console owners to run custom packages on the device. SCEA alleged in its suit that Hotz violated both the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Computer Fraud Abuse Act.

Read more: Judge OKs Sony access to 'Geohot' PayPal account | The Digital Home - CNET News

I can only hope that Sony fails at this hard. In my personal opinion, what George did to the PS3 is absolutely NO different than what he did to the iPhone. With that being said, I hope he wins this and gets consoles put into the DMCA...then maybe a little more work would go towards the Xbox 360 :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I agree. If you're looking for any PS3 news related to legal battles against Hotz and other PS3 hackers, or are into the homebrew scene yourself, I recommend psx-scene. Just a sight that I've really found to be reliable in dealing with Playstation consoles since day one.

I'm also a bit surprised at Sony for doing this. They didn't do anything when the PS2 or PSP were hacked....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I hate how they act like he's the only person who's done any hacking and exploiting. He's not alone, they shouldn't be punishing only him. Hopefully he wins too. Looks bleak though.

If only they'd create things how we want and actually listen to their customers, then maybe we wouldn't feel obligated to crack the system. I mean, it's one thing where they tout the console as being open and then they close it down. Seriously? Of course people want to open it back up! - DUH - What happened to installing alternative OS's on the PS3? What was the purpose of killing it off Sony?

Seriously. I don't get it sometimes. I applaud Geohot, maybe some things are questionable, but man, he's done a lot for the community either way. At least now we know we've got their attention, maybe they'll look into what the customers want and implement stuff in the future, maybe then we won't feel the need to modify the system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.