Please Help : (

Reaction score
Unable to connect to internet : (

Please could someone help, I recently had BT Infinity installed but I've been having a lot of problems connecting my MacBook Pro to the internet regardless of whether I'm using a wired or wireless connection as my IP seems to keep dropping for some reason since if I go to network settings it either says "No IP Address" or "Self Assigned IP"?

Also while I don't have any problems connecting my MacBook Pro to the internet running Windows 7 under Boot Camp my speed test results are very different to running a speed test under Mac OS?

Mac OS Speed Test Results
1198720448.png

Windows 7 Speed Test Results
1198724141.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion...those are not "very different" results (upload & download speeds).

You can test your internet speed 10x in a row...or 10 times over the course of 24 hours...and get those sort of differences...sometimes even larger.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Where I am I can get 8mbps and sometimes 3mbps in the same day!!
As for no ip address issue, have you tried resetting your router?

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Where I am I can get 8mbps and sometimes 3mbps in the same day!!
As for no ip address issue, have you tried resetting your router?

- Simon

I appreciate that the speed varies depending on the time of day etc but while my download speed does vary a bit my upload speed is pretty consistent at just over 8Mbs regardless of the time of day etc when running a speed test in Mac OS where as in Windows 7 it's a consistent 5Mbs something, again regardless of the time of day etc. So why the discrepancy not to mention the huge difference with my Ping?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

You should also provide a title appropriate to your issue - not just "Help".
Some folks that can "help", are not even going to look at a thread with that title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I appreciate that the speed varies depending on the time of day etc but while my download speed does vary a bit my upload speed is pretty consistent at just over 8Mbs regardless of the time of day etc when running a speed test in Mac OS where as in Windows 7 it's a consistent 5Mbs something, again regardless of the time of day etc. So why the discrepancy not to mention the huge difference with my Ping?

Your upload has changed more than your download in those two results!

Ping wise, it is usually the server you are pinging to that gives the outcomes you get, try it with another server and you could get more or less than that.

- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That's a pretty sizeable ping result! You'd think it was hitting a satellite.

OP
T
Reaction score
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

You should also provide a title appropriate to your issue - not just "Help".
Some folks that can "help", are not even going to look at a thread with that title.

Ok thanks bobtomay I'll rectify the thread title.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your upload has changed more than your download in those two results!- Simon

Exactly so why the discrepancy between Mac OS and Windows 7?

Ping wise, it is usually the server you are pinging to that gives the outcomes you get, try it with another server and you could get more or less than that.- Simon

I did use the same server for both Mac OS and Windows 7. Strangely if I run a ping test on pingtest.net in Windows 7 I get the below result which is in line with my Mac OS results.

37083970.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Again (IMHO)...regarding the differences in download/upload speeds...you're worrying about nothing. It's not a big deal. And it will fluctuate.

A BIG deal (or a BIG difference) would be 36.85 Mb/s for one OS versus something like below 20 Mb/s. The difference between 36.85 Mb/s and 34.97 Mb/s download speed...is minor!

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Again (IMHO)...regarding the differences in download/upload speeds...you're worrying about nothing. It's not a big deal. And it will fluctuate.

A BIG deal (or a BIG difference) would be 36.85 Mb/s for one OS versus something like below 20 Mb/s. The difference between 36.85 Mb/s and 34.97 Mb/s download speed...is minor!

- Nick

I not concerned about my download speed, I'm concerned about my upload speed and ping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are you worried about your upload speed though? It will ALWAYS be lower than your download speed as ISPs DONT want people file sharing and this is just a small way to help stop it. i.e if I get my top 8mbps down then I will usually get around 800kbps up, it's capped like that.

- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I not concerned about my download speed, I'm concerned about my upload speed and ping.

Unless i missed it - you haven't said what sort of data rates you've contracted with your ISP for?

Regarding ping - you need to run a few more tests and see if that's a consistent number before it's worth troubleshooting. You should try a few pings in Terminal to several known good servers and see what they look like. We can't make any kind of guess based on a single run.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok I've sussed out what the problem is (or at least partially), it's Chrome because I use Safari in Mac OS and Chrome in Windows 7 so I tried Internet Explorer and viola!

safe_image.png

I still have my main problem and reason for creating this thread though which is that I'm unable to connect to the internet in Mac OS regardless of whether I'm using a wired or wireless connection as from what I can gather my IP address keeps dropping?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.