Moving internal HD to External - will bootcamp still work?

Reaction score
QUESTION:
I have a 500GB internal drive in my MBP:
Partition #1 is Mac OS (10.6.6)
Partition #2 is Bootcamp (WinXP)

Can I move the internal disk to a USB enclosure and boot WinXP (bootcamp) from the (now) external disk?

I need to give my daughter my MBP and I want it to be a fresh HD with a new MacOS install - bootcamp not required.

But, I want the option to hook up my old HD - in the external enclosure - and boot into my old setup (Mac OS or bootcamp).

I know I can use Carbon Copy & WinClone to move to a new, replacement, internal HD. That is not my goal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
QUESTION:

I have a 500GB internal drive in my MBP:
Partition #1 is Mac OS (10.6.6)
Partition #2 is Bootcamp (WinXP)

Can I move the internal disk to a USB enclosure and boot WinXP (bootcamp) from the (now) external disk?

Yes, it will work provided you boot your machine from the 500 GB drive which is being used as an external. Keep in mind that running OS X this way will be slow and XP even slower.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, it will work provided you boot your machine from the 500 GB drive which is being used as an external. Keep in mind that running OS X this way will be slow and XP even slower.
I run Tiger from a USB stick - I am used to pain.

But, currently, to run bootcamp, I hold the <option> key down at power up - the MacOS & bootcamp drives show up and I pick which one to boot.
If I don't hold the <option> key down, then the "default" OS boots - and I pick the default OS from the bootcamp "picker" tool.

But, I don't have to boot MacOS first.

I assume I will do the same - and instead of two, there will be three options:
Intenal MacOS (new MacOS install),
External MacOS (original MacOS),
External Bootcamp (original bootcamp).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.