• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Becoming an ACMT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
The college I am accepted and going to this coming fall (Seton Hill University - A leader in Mobile Technology. Leading Catholic Liberal Arts University in Greensburg Pennsylvania that teaches with the Apple iPad) has their own onsite Apple repair center (SSA) and I really want to work for them. If not for them, I want to find a job repair Mac computers regardless. Anyways I would really love to become Apple certified and I wanted to see what you all think about it?

I would plan on buying the two necessary books from Peach Pit and I would most likely travel up to Novi, MI where they have 2 and 5 day courses to get more hands-on learning about Apple computer repair. I really do love working on hardware and I've actually done a few Macbooks repairs already, and I spend about 12 hours a day on my computer to begin with.

Anything you guys would like to say that would HELP would be great :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tough crowd! Is no active member on this forum in this line of work? lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much more that anyone can contribute. It looks like you have a good plan and know what you need to do. I hope everything turns out well for you and that you land the job. Good luck.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol well I was assuming by the lack of comments I had most of it figured out but I was looking for affirmation, or lack thereof. Thanks for the reply though, glad to know I'm clearly on the right track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You've got a good head on your shoulders and a bigger head start than most people do, who are about to embark on their college "adventures". I say head start (perhaps advantage would be a better word) because most people have no clue as to what they want to do in life. Just knowing where you want to be is a HUGE advantage, trust me!

That said, you might also consider working for Apple part time. I know for a fact that they hire people with ZERO Apple experience, people with a Windows background as well as those whom DO have experience and a passion for the Apple "culture".

If you know anybody who works for them, get a referral.. it's a big help. If you get to attend a hiring seminar, be attentive, outspoken and participate a lot. If you get an interview, be honest, prepare for typical scenario questions related to the position and try to incorporate how you use Apple products in a way that enhances your daily life etc etc.. They love hearing the word "culture".

If you get a final interview: Make sure you know as much as possible about the products, because you'll get random questions about them. As well as more random scenario questions. Lastly, dress casual and be you. They don't want suits and ties representing them. Think about the Apple commercials ;) IMO it's a bit ironic that they want to give the impression that they're "different", when in reality all they're doing is grooming people to be the same, but in different clothes. (I don't mean the same in terms of how they operate vs MS etc I mean in house)

So the point of this, getting a part time job with Apple and all, is that once your foot is in the door, they'll pay to further your education while continuing to work for them, and you'll have an easier time moving up the ladder from within.

Doug

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well currently I live in a small podunk town of 8,000 people(Delphos, OH) and the school I will be going to is in Greensburg, PA which is about 30 minutes East of Pittsburgh, PA (where the closest Apple store is).

That would mean I would have to drive 30minutes just to get to work, which might be somewhat difficult. That's what really geared me towards working for the schools SSA on-site.

Seeing how that store was robbed 3 times maybe I don't want to work there LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The ACMT certification is great, but it only helps you if you're working for an Apple Authorized Service Provider. The courses for training are expensive - a couple thousand dollars last I checked. Apple does have a self directed training program you can purchase directly from the online store. It's about $300, and provides you with a tech login, and all the materials you'll need to take and pass the certification exams. Exams are $150 each I believe, renewable annually.
A good employer will assume you aren't certified, but if it's required, will assist you in getting your certification. Most tech managers are more interested in aptitude than the score on a test somewhere.
I can honestly say, my first job fixing Macs in '97 changed my life and set me on a career I couldn't have imagined before. All the best to you in your endeavors!

Reaction score
I have been working in the techinical field repairing computers, managing and administering networks for a few years now. I would say stay out of the specific certifications like CCNA or CCNP, and go for more broad certs like

A+
MCSE
N+
MCP

this way when you get in the field and looking for a job you have more jobs to chose from and not stuck in one spot.
My friend is certified and he got laid off from apple and now is screwed.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you only allowed so many certs? Why wouldn't you be able to just have them all?

Reaction score
Yea you can have as many certs as you want. It just takes a lot of time to study for them. My goal is to get MCSE and N+ then you're good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.