MBP onboard mic+garageband to record lecture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I ALMOST posted this in the switcher hangout, but I've familiarized myself enough with my Mac by this point to feel comfortable posting in the other areas :-D Anyway, the title of the thread says it all - has anyone used their MB/MBP and garageband to try to record a college lecture? I don't have any classes this sem that I bring my computer to on a regular basis, but I have in the past and this seemed kind of like a DURRRR moment but I'm not sure if the Mic would pick up the prof so well if you were sitting far away from him/her. I know the mic on the MBP is pretty stout; my best friend and I were messing with garageband yesterday for some podcast stuff and I've used it in the past on my friend's mac to record simple song demos...just wondering if anyone here had already tried this and what kind of results were had :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
it will be almost useless at doing that. the macbooks screen will be blocking the sound for a start, youll be far away, and most likely the mic's pickup pattern is cardiod, meaning it is direct and pointing towards the user. so you could probably turn it towards the prof.... but it will still be a weak signal.

just grab a handy mic, such as a zoom H1 or any dictaphone device, and youll see much better quality.

OP
thekilierdonut
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Definitely a better idea. Worked at a music store during my first go round thru college (I'm back finishing my degree at age 26, yay for night classes!) and we sold zoom stuff like hotcakes. I even used a zoom multi FX pedal for a while. I wonder whatever happened to that, come to think of it. I have boxes and boxes of guitar gear I haven't looked at in years, hahaha. But I digress. I may actually HAVE an old mic somewhere I can use for that. Thanks for the advice!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
grab that, itll sound much better. :)

PS. i hate night courses! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.