PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod

the8thark
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod
AppleInsider | Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/14/microsoft_abandons_zune_media_players_in_ipod_defe at.html)

Microsoft's direct effort to challenge Apple's iPod, introduced in 2006 under the Zune brand, is being abandoned after a failure to gain traction in the market.

I think MS have a bad habit if entering into battles too late. After the competition is already established. And trying to compete this year with last year's technology is a recipe for failure. It's best they pull out of these bad practices and try enter a battle they have a chance to win. So this news though bad in a way I think is good for MS. Now they can focus on what they are good at.

chscag
03-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Now they can focus on what they are good at.

And just what is it they're good at? :P

baggss
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Another wonderfully successful Steve Balmer initiative.

schweb
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
The sad thing is that the Zune wasn't that horrible of a product. It was just killed by Microsoft's complete lack of marketing ability.

iWhat
03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
I remember, when Zune first came out, I sorta envied the UI and menus of the Zune. But at the time, I was pretty much a iPod fanboy, so I would have never praised Zune at the time. ;)

SamuelRV
03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I still have my original 30 GB Zune. It works great but i put it on the shelf after i got an apple touch. The big reason why i favored the touch over the zune was its wifi capability. It is a lot more convenient to download songs,podcasts etc without having to use a computer, especially when you share only one computer with family members. Bon Voyage Zune!!!!!

TF626
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
The Zune was a very respectable rival to the iPod. But ever since 2000 I feel as if Microsoft has gone down hill-- Xbox is probably there best product. Wasn't too crazy about Windows 7, that's why i went Mac this time around.

vansmith
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
The Zune had one feature that I would love to see with my iPod Touch - wireless sync. Although I think my iPod Touch is fantastic (the very fact that it's three years old and still runs perfectly is a huge plus), that's one feature I would have loved (having an iPod that can't be upgraded anymore precludes it from getting this feature if it were ever implemented in iOS).

louishen
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
And just what is it they're good at? :P

Well, keeping businesses and OEM manufacturers tied to their operating system and office suite. ;D

But even that is slipping.

As for the consumer space, maybe Balmer has not got much to do with the Xbox, maybe they keep him as far away as possible from that team in case he jinks the project.

As for their other consumer initiatives, they have had mixed success at best and dire at worst.

Microsoft Bob - sorry, had to mention that one
Windows ME
Windows Mobile
Play4Sure
Zune
Vista
Kin
We'll wait and see about Windows phone 7, at least I hope it doesn't fail

vansmith
03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
That's not entirely fair to MS. They've had some great successes in their corporate history. Office is huge and has become the standard (whether we like it or not). Windows 7 has done well and rightly so - it's a great version of Windows. The Xbox is a huge success (perhaps not fiscally but in terms of market share it is). IE9 is getting positive reviews as well.

It's a little much to be saying that they've had "mixed success at best" while neglecting to list some of the products that have done quite well. Every company has products that fail - let's not forget what condition Apple was in not too long ago. Perhaps it's worth noting the Pippin and the 1st gen AppleTV as examples. ;)

schweb
03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I mean you don't get to 95% market share without doing something right. Just saying.

schweb
03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Perhaps it's worth noting the Pippin and the 1st gen AppleTV as examples. ;)

Oooh, don't forget iPod Socks, the Cube, and Ping. And who can forget The Mighty Mouse.

RavingMac
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
And who can forget The Mighty Mouse.

Actually, I had until you reminded us . . . .. :)

vansmith
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Oooh, don't forget iPod Socks, the Cube, and Ping. And who can forget The Mighty Mouse.Oh yes, Ping. I had forgotten about that one despite it being new. I apparently don't have very good short term...short term....what's it called again? :P

Just remembered a new one: Apple QuickTake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake).

iWhat
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
The Zune had one feature that I would love to see with my iPod Touch - wireless sync. Although I think my iPod Touch is fantastic (the very fact that it's three years old and still runs perfectly is a huge plus), that's one feature I would have loved (having an iPod that can't be upgraded anymore precludes it from getting this feature if it were ever implemented in iOS).

That was another feature that I envied a lot. When you'd see the iPod v. Zune articles crop up, that's where you'd see the Zune really shine. This would be such a welcome feature of iOS devices.

schweb
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Just remembered a new one: Apple QuickTake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake).

When I was at Macworld a few years ago, there was a guy there taking pictures with one of those. :)

Milca604
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
There's something called "innovation"
I think Microsoft should try it out

vansmith
03-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Are you claiming that Microsoft doesn't innovate? That's quite the unsubstantiated claim to be making.

Milca604
03-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Are you claiming that Microsoft doesn't innovate? That's quite the unsubstantiated claim to be making.

so Zune media player came out before iPod?

btw
Windows 1.0 started with part of GUI from Mac

Office was not originally from Microsoft either

vansmith
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
You don't have to be first to innovate. Definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/innovate) worth noting: to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.

Everyone stole the idea of the GUI from Xerox.

Office has always been an MS product (I believe) - it was released for the Mac before Windows.

Chris H.
03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
You don't have to be first to innovate. Definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/innovate) worth noting: to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.

Everyone stole the idea of the GUI from Xerox.

Office has always been an MS product (I believe) - it was released for the Mac before Windows.

I will add to this that if there is any company that innovates, it is Apple for the most part. The only things I see Microsoft "innovating" are Office and the XBOX 360.

Milca604
03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
I apologize if I did convey my idea correctly

but I think we're talking about the same thing
that Apple innovates and put everything together very well both Hardware and Software.

but here's the difference
In my opinion start something new is innovation
Base new ideas on existing ideas get into the grey area so I personally won't call it innovation. yes the new idea in it is innovation, but not the whole thing.

i was told office was not from Microsoft
couldn't find proof online so i guess that can be a false claim on my part