• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

'Amazing' demand for iPad 2 seen as 'insurmountable lead' for Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
'Amazing' demand for iPad 2 seen as 'insurmountable lead' for Apple
AppleInsider | 'Amazing' demand for iPad 2 seen as 'insurmountable lead' for Apple
Apple on Monday commented that demand for the iPad 2 at launch was "amazing," though the company declined to reveal actual sales figures. But with the device sold out virtually everywhere, one Wall Street analyst declared that Apple now has an "insurmountable lead" in the tablet market.

When your only issue is lack of sales because you simply can't get enough product made to meet the demand, I think you're doing pretty well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All that's left for Apple now is to "Kill off the wounded". :p

Reaction score
I'm certain that at least one competitor will bring to market a tablet that is excellent, and breaks through the noise that is the rest of the offerings. I have no idea who though, and judging by current and imminent offerings, it's going to be a 2nd generation product.

Even that feat won't likely change the market share landscape in tablets though, at least not by much.

Reaction score
Actually competition has already better tablets than iPad technically. It is iOS on iPad that give it an edge. Funnily enough, for some of us that is also the downfall because certain features that would make tablet much more useful are not yet present in iOS. Better homescreen, better lock screen, better notification system, widgets, better multitasking, live app icons etc.

While this is no big deal I would like if iPad's cameras were a bit better quality really. If you are including something why do it half arsed? Not like iPad couldn't handle it nor would it cost Apple anything really!!!

While Apple is on the right path with supporting creative tools and bringing out GarageBand and iMovie for content creation, it was sad that they ignored (for now) the main capability or possible capability of this device: tablet for drawin and painting. It would be awesome if they had some sort of stylus input device with a dedicated drawing, painting and photo manipulation app!! I hope Apple starts to get back its roots of content creation and cater slightly less for the masses. Balance, at the moment, tilted a bit too much towards the average user! How about pros that actually made what Apple it is today?

Just my very long 2 cents!

Reaction score
It would be awesome if they had some sort of stylus input device with a dedicated drawing, painting and photo manipulation app!!

While not available directly from Apple, i believe there are apps of the type on the store.

As for a stylus, that's also available from at least one third party

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
All that's left for Apple now is to "Kill off the wounded". :p
Nooooo. Very bad idea. Apple needs to better than someone. And it might as well be Android. And having someone else there even terrible hushes the monopoly talk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I am keeping a close eye on HP's Touch Pad (coming this June). It appears to be very promising and the true test will be if it's glitchy and if it can work quickly and smoothly
Although, I just read today that it won't have a rear-facing camera. Only one on the front. Kind of an odd thing to do, really. If you're gonna give it a camera, give it cameras.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although, I just read today that it won't have a rear-facing camera. Only one on the front. Kind of an odd thing to do, really. If you're gonna give it a camera, give it cameras.
Not really. It'll be used for video chat. Personally I think the backside camera is ***. Cause you don't really want to be taking movie footage with a tablet.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Not really. It'll be used for video chat. Personally I think the backside camera is ***. Cause you don't really want to be taking movie footage with a tablet.

It's nice having a flexible device in terms of having two cameras; I think it's just more for connivence. I couldn't imagine having a camera on just on side. It leaves so many more options open for being creative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Nooooo. Very bad idea. Apple needs to better than someone. And it might as well be Android. And having someone else there even terrible hushes the monopoly talk.

Competition is healthy. Android's rise is interesting though. The fact they have surpassed iOS's market share in the US is interesting, and they are becoming very dominant in Asia. Analysts are already predicting within two years it will go the same in the tablet market with Android winning out ahead of Apple eventually in the end.

Now yeah, this will be in part due to the fact Android is shipped out through multiple vendors, but also, one would ask, the fact people ARE beginning to buy more into Android devices in such large numbers to surpass Apple should raise some questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's nice having a flexible device in terms of having two cameras; I think it's just more for connivence. I couldn't imagine having a camera on just on side. It leaves so many more options open for being creative.

I agree. I'd rather have it and seldom use/need it than not have it when I want it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I thought this article was pretty interesting. I didn't really care for the segment about beer. But in general, this would be be a really interesting way to report news on the fly, if news reporters are caught without their news crew following them everywhere.

Fox affiliate in Texas shoots news story on iPad

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read about that iwhat. And in the future what's stopping a reporter and a camera man shooting the footage then linking it to the ipad and editing the footage on location via ipad. So when they get back to the studio it can be aired almost immediately.

Yes in the future you'll wireless send the edited movie footage to the studio but I don't think sending Hi-Def movie via the interwebs is really that plausible these days.

Reaction score

Well…the way I see it - the camera on the back would be useful for showing whoever is in the video chat what you're looking at - such as a kid blowing out birthday candles or a dog playing with a chew toy. It's better than flipping the device around and trying to aim the camera at what you're looking at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.