View Full Version : Trojan

03-13-2011, 09:54 PM

I've had my macbook for about 4 years now and have never experienced what happened this evening....

I opened an email tonight (no attachment with the email) and received a warning message stating that the message contained a trojan horse. The message continued to say that I should immediately download "something something". I exited the window I was in and canceled the download (unsure of what was happening) then reset safari.

Is there something else I should do to assure that my computer is secure and absent of a virus?

03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
It sounds like it could have been a bogus site trying to sell you something you didn't need by frightening you.

Doug b
03-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Check your DNS settings in Network preferences to make sure that the only DNS values are yours and not something trying to re route you to a bogus site whenever you're online.

03-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Scam. Get a better pop-up blocker.

03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
The best bet when something like this pops up is close the browser because hitting cancel
or stop is almost the same as ok or start.

03-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Ah, I ran over such one site once.
Can't remember what it was but it gave me the fake PC virus alert window and started downloading a .exe.
And then because I was curious what had just happened, I reloaded the page and let it run again :D
Might seem risky but .exes can't run on Mac so I'm safe. O:)